Ford Forums banner

Squeeling like a pig...

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Trey 
#1 ·
My 78 has had a "squeel" in it for several months. It comes on at about 2200 rpm, and then quits at about 2500 rpm. I thought it was a loose fan belt, but I have tightened them and there is no change in the noise. There are no leaks at the water pump or the power steering pump, and the alternator charges OK. There is a small diameter idler pulley that is mounted next to the AC pulley, could this be it? Any opinions are welcome. Thanks.

#2 ·
Go to your nearest parts store. Inside tehy hae teh coolest thing, a tool that looks like a doctor's stehescope but with a large metal rod on the bottom. You can use this to track down your noise by having someone hold it at the RPM's that the squealing is going on and, by touching the rod from part to part (Alt,PSpump, water pump) you can find it should be easy to find where the noise is coming from.

My bet says that if it's not a belt, it's an alternator bearing, but the only way to know for sure is to listen. The stethescope makes it easier to do just that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.