Ford Forums banner

Still need steering help

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  '92BigBronco 
#1 ·
steering problem persists
Still having steering wandering from left to right.
Seems like steering has a high point and you cannot keep it straight.
Must compensate from left to right constantly.
As soon as you turn to right the vehicle goes that way but it seems too much so you turn to the left with the same result---back & forth constantly.
Cannot get enough free-play it seems. Very discusting to drive.
See my 1st message for things I did to correct already.
All or any HELP will be appreciated. Thanks---Jim-Bo

#3 ·
Thanks EBXR----Had it lined up 1st time after the ball joint and wheel brg. replacement then 2nd time after the radius arm bushings replace. Tire pressure is 35
psi cold. Running wranglers 265-75-R-15 on factory alum. wheels and had them ballanced again. I let some play back in the box and changed the rear shocks. It seems a little better BUT?????

#4 ·
A better description of the problem would help. My Bronco did what sounds to be the same thing until I adjusted the steering box. The vehicle would seem to steer itself from left to right depending on road conditions.

Read your manual and properly adjust the steering box. Playing with the adjusting nut won't help you eliminate the steering box as the possible problem. Adjust it properly and if the problem doesn't go away, you know to look elsewhere. The front steering system on these things are very simple and easy to work on.

Be sure your wheel bearings are properly adjusted. The Ford bearings like to run a little tight. Check the tie rod ends, drag link ends, along with the steering box and you'll find your problem.

#5 ·
Thanks '92 Big Bronco,
I think I got most of the problem taken care of with the steering left - right.
I just replaced all 6 shocks and adjusted the box and put some more play in it.
Seems to be about 95% good now. The tires are screwed up from before all the work was done and sounds like a loose belt or two. Makes a wap-wap-wap sound while going 20-30-mph and even at higher speeds up to about 55.
Next will be working on the fuel milage. Only get about 12-15 mpg now. Any
good suggestions? The engine (302) was just tuned up and runs great so I dont want to mess that up. Probally the big tires, auto hubs, and around town it wont do much better though. Oh well thanks for the info. Have a nice
Xmas. jim-bo

#6 ·
12-15 miles/gallon is pretty darn good for the 302. I get about 11 mpg from my 351 and that's if I'm not on the gas too much. I get around 13-14 cruising on the freeway. The auto hubs won't effect your gas mileage. They're not locked all the time so they'll have no effect on your economy.

Regarding your steering box.....when you're having to adjust it a lot to get it to act right, it's most likely on its way out. If you find yourself having to adjust it again in a few months, you should seriously consider replacing it.

Happy Holidays

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.