Ford Forums banner

throttle body

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  89F150 
#1 ·
i went to start my truck to go to work yesterday only to find that it didnt want to start. i originally thought it was the accelorator cable had broken, only to realize it had only slipped off of where it was supposed to be upon further investigation i learned that my throttle body was freezing open (all the way) which was not letting it start i guess. i dont know anything about this kind of stuff so any suggestions would be appreciated.

#4 · (Edited)
yes the springs are still on

today i went out to play with it a lil bit and i put every thing back together and it worked fine on my way into work until i got into the parking lot and then it started sticking open just a little bit

when i have every thing taken apart the spring that attaches to the accelerator cable sticks open but the one with the butterfly valves slaps back shut

sometimes it closes all the way and sometimes it doesnt i dont know why and i cant seem to find any new springs for it

#6 ·
i can tell you that some times the actual shaft gets dry and dusty and will cause a sticky condition which usually only occurs when you eas off the throttle and then if you burp the throttle it closes fine.
the other thing i have seen is where the throttle cable is held there is a plastic sheath type piece that slides inside another plastic piece and i have seen them develope a small catch on those which will stick periodically.
if that is the case you have to trim back that plastic just a smidge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.