U.S.:Ford considers building Bronco concept, mulls platform options - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Bronco Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Bronco Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Bronco

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2004, 06:48   #1 (permalink)

U.S.:Ford considers building Bronco concept, mulls platform options

By AMY WILSON | Automotive News

DETROIT - Ford Motor Co. is studying three existing platforms to figure out a way to build the Bronco SUV concept shown at the North American International Auto Show.

The Bronco, if approved for production, would give Ford Division a low-priced SUV below the Escape in size and price. Candidates are the platforms that underpin the Escape, the Brazilian-made EcoSport sport wagon and the Ranger pickup, says J Mays, Ford group vice president of design. The first two are unibody platforms, and the third is an aging body-on-frame platform.

Phil Martens, Ford's product development chief, says the Bronco must be built off an existing platform if approved. That sentiment reflects Ford's renewed discipline on platform sharing, parts carry-over and budget-minded product development.

The 2005 Escape starts at $19,855, including destination charges. That suggests prices for a production Bronco would start at around $18,000 or less.

The tough, spare look of the Bronco concept, penned by designer Joe Baker, evokes the original Bronco introduced in 1965. Ford wanted to return to "the idea of an SUV as a piece of equipment rather than a status symbol," Mays said. "All of the SUVs in this hall (at the Detroit show) are status symbols. That's not what the SUV was at its inception."

Off-road capability is important, Ford executives say. The concept Bronco is built on the Escape platform. Ford executives stressed that the Escape can go off-road.

But "if the stars were right, I would prefer to have it on a body-on-frame," Mays said.That points to the Ranger platform. But it is old; the Ranger's last major redesign came in 1993. And Ford COO Nick Scheele said the Ranger frame probably is too big for the Bronco.

Mays said that a production Bronco could share its underpinnings with a new Land Rover Defender. That would spread development costs across two vehicle programs and serve up a Jeep Wrangler fighter and a Hummer fighter all in one. It also would allow Ford to re-introduce the Defender nameplate to the United States, as executives have been itching to do.

"I maintain that if you were to redo the front end on (the Bronco), you could also have a Land Rover Defender that wouldn't miss a beat," Mays said.

But Scheele tempered that thought.

The Defender "has to have Land Rover capabilities" and body-on-frame construction, Scheele said, suggesting that any future Bronco might not.

My next Ford.....

Last edited by Stacy94PGT; 01-19-2004 at 06:51.
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2004, 16:25   #2 (permalink)

Re: U.S.:Ford considers building Bronco concept, mulls platform options

Hey Stacy,

You seem to be in the know regarding the in's and out's of Ford. How would one go about sending them a letter regarding the Bronco concept? Where can I find the address?

I can't stand by and have them totally screw up what the Bronco name has always stood for. I don't know who they're talking to about what the consumer wants.....but I guarantee it isn't Bronco owners.
Full 3" stainless Bassani Exhaust
32" BFG's/stock suspension

"No replacement for displacement."

"Our lugnuts require more torque than most Honda's produce!"
'92BigBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 17:40   #3 (permalink)

Well, I have two you can send a letter to.

Ford Motor Company
1 American Rd , PO Box 1899
Dearborn, MI 48126

Ford Motor Company
300 Renaissance Ctr # 500 , PO Box 43380
Detroit, MI 48243

My next Ford.....
Old 01-23-2004, 20:43   #4 (permalink)

Thank you!
Full 3" stainless Bassani Exhaust
32" BFG's/stock suspension

"No replacement for displacement."

"Our lugnuts require more torque than most Honda's produce!"
'92BigBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 20:45   #5 (permalink)

Your welcome .

My next Ford.....
Old 02-01-2004, 14:35   #6 (permalink)

Where Did You get this information?
Vlad_Padberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 17:41   #7 (permalink)
FullSize Bronco

Quote:
would give Ford Division a low-priced SUV below the Escape in size and price.
if this is the case it wont be worthy of the Bronco badge forsure
Old 02-16-2004, 21:39   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad_Padberg
Where Did You get this information?
Which info are you talking about ? Article or addresses ?

My next Ford.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Bronco Forum