Uphill Struggle - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Bronco Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Bronco Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Bronco

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2003, 08:28   #1 (permalink)

Uphill Struggle

Hi, new to the group, happy to be here. When going up a long grade at 65-70 mph, my 87 gradually starts to slow down. If I give it more gas it slows even more but is OK if I let up and then accelerate at the crest. From a standing start going uphill or trying to get out fast in the flow of traffic, it does the same until top or until about 45 on the level. "Passing gear" is worse. Haven't noticed any smoke while dodging trucks. Have a bad cat, cracked exhaust mainifold, and the PO cut the fuel filter out of the gas line, if those mean anything. Sorry to be so long but locals can't help and I need my ride. Thanks for ideas.
headstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2003, 21:22   #2 (permalink)
97 F-150 XL 4x4

Re: Uphill Struggle

thats a new one for me but it seem like when the engine is working hard it is loosing its power so first thing i would do is look to rid any blockages in the exhaust.
not sure what you mean by bad cat but if your telling us the cat is blowing apart inside than that is deffinetly the problem cause the little bits of crap inside there will block a muffler quick.
the ultimate test would be to pressure check the exhaust pipe while a friend romps on the gas.
Old 09-17-2003, 09:38   #3 (permalink)

Thanks. That's what is happening inside the cat. My "friendly" garage guy in town is talking $700 for the 87 Bronco cat, pipes. I know they are expensive for bigger trucks...
Old 09-17-2003, 18:16   #4 (permalink)
97 F-150 XL 4x4

yea it sounds like the local guy wants to help you out by takin you for a ride straight to the poor house.
you can buy aftermarket cats for around $80 and i would also buy a new muffler for around $50-$60.
just for a reference i had a complete duel exhaust custom made for my truck and i had about $500 total in it. the pipes and custom fitting was around $260 + my headers and mufflers.
Old 09-19-2003, 13:22   #5 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Yea i would replace the cat. They are not cheap, but they are not 700 to install. You can get them online anywhere from $70 and up. Where in Jersey are you? I may have someone there that can atleast install it for you.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 15:36   #6 (permalink)

I've seen the prices on the internet now--no wonder my ex-garage guy was always happy to see me. I live in Wharton in Morris County, on I-80 near Lake Hopatcong. thanks for the thought-jersey is small and certainly has enough roads. Let me know if something turns up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Bronco Forum