Who's running aftermarket air cleaners? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Bronco Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Bronco Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Bronco

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2001, 18:28   #1 (permalink)
Bronco Ranger XLT Member

Question Who's running aftermarket air cleaners?

It seems I keep switching back and forth to my stock air cleaner and an aftermarket one. The Bronc seems to run better with the open element except in the winter, when it runs rough until it warms up. So then I put the stock one back on, with the heat tube from exhaust manifold hooked up. I just wondered how many others ran open element air cleaners.
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2001, 23:04   #2 (permalink)
Bronco Member

Arrow K&Ns...

I am thinking about getting the K&N filter, but it would have to sit in the stock air box. '87's and newer can have the FilterCharger, but not the '86 :(

Anyone else have K&Ns?
Paul_NO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 15:48   #3 (permalink)
Bronco Member

K&N Filter Charger

I have the K&N Filter Charger unit in my Bronco unit (5.0 Ltr.FI) and I think that this unit is great. I can actually feel the power increace at the wheels. I have the stock air box feeder with the dual air tube ducts. There is a treatment that is used for air ducts to lessen the effects of air friction that is available, but I found that not necessary. I have also a Pontiac Firebird with the V-8 Ram Air Engine that I also had converted to the K&N unit, and it works pretty good in that unit also.
The K&N filter for the Bronco is pretty expensive for what is in essence a filter screen, but considering most of us keep these unit for many years is does pay over time. I believe my filter cost about $35.00 from a local R&S Strauss Auto store. I believe that they are considerably less from an outfit like J.C. Whitney at
http://www.jcwhitney.com
JuanPolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 18:17   #4 (permalink)
Bronco Ranger XLT Member

Read

Thanks for replies, guys. I'm glad to hear about the K&N's. I have a paper element on my 78 Bronco (carbed) now, but I am thinking about going to a K&N.

I would also like to go to a K&N on my 92 Mustang, but I have heard that they will gum up the MAF sensor if you overoil them. I guess the trick is to go easy on the oil.

Anyone else have experience with these filters, good or bad?
Thanks, Don
Old 06-27-2001, 21:27   #5 (permalink)
Wheelman

I have a K&N on my 78 Bronco. I put it on after I rebuilt the motor, so I don't know how much of a difference it made. But I think being able to reuse it will pay for itself over time, and make it worth it.
Old 06-28-2001, 07:33   #6 (permalink)
Bronco Member

I've got a Amsoil foam filter in the stock airbox. It's a re-useable and oiled like the K&N but instead of being made from gauze it is made from 2 different densities of foam. It's worked out great for me. A few weeks ago I finally got around to cleaning it and it was completely covered in dust and dirt, but the the air passages past the filter were nice and clean. This was following a trip to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon which involved over 200 miles of sucking on trail dust.
BroncoGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 10:13   #7 (permalink)
stonetrucker

Here's something you might do that works for me. Flip the lid on your air cleaner and install a longer center bolt into the carb. You may have to flip over the fitting for the small air lines in the top like I have to make it work.
Just a thought!
:thumbup:
Old 10-19-2001, 12:28   #8 (permalink)
Bronco Ranger XLT Member

Read Update

Thanks for all the replies and tips, guys. Since my original post, I bought a K&N filter off E-BAY and installed it in a 10" open element air cleaner that I had in the garage. I really like it. The Bronc seems to accelerate off of idle better, and overall has a better throttle response.

I'll just wait for colder weather now, and see if if the loss of the heat tube will affect the drivability.

On a side note, I didn't have enought K&N oil to re-oil the filter, so I used ATF fluid. The ATF looks the same (even the same color), and has the same feel and viscosity as the filter oil, and seems to work the same. Did I ruin my new filter, or is this OK?
Old 10-19-2001, 14:01   #9 (permalink)
Bronco Member

LoneRanger:
I really wouldn't do that if I was you. The K&N Filter oil is water soluble meaning it ,and the dirt can be cleaned out with water. The trans. fluid has the opposite effect. At the worst what you should have used is "PAM" the vegetable oil used for cooking, but even that is a stretch. I would not try to dissolve the trans oil (now) since the chemicals that would clean up the oil may destroy the fibers in the filter. I am certain that K&N is being very coy in not telling us if there is a generic replacement for this oil. The cost of a bottle of K&N oil ran me $9.00 from a local auto parts store. I didn't really mind the cost since I have 3 K&N Filters one for each of my vehicles. However I do consider the K&N Filter unit a superior unit for what it does, and the cost is probably a one time purchace.
JuanPolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 17:24   #10 (permalink)
Bronco Ranger XLT Member

Uh Oh.......

Thanks Juan. I didn't know that. I will try to salvage it next weekend. Maybe a little Mean Green detergent will work.....:(
LoneRangerXLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Bronco Forum