Wont Start - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Bronco Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Bronco Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Bronco

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2001, 00:57   #1 (permalink)
Bronco XLT Member

Question Wont Start

Hey all, I havn't been to this site in a while, but I'm back now. Well, I've got a small, major problem, let me tell you the whole story. About six weeks ago, I was at my girlfriends house, it was about midnight, so I decided to go home, but when I got in my Bronco, it wouldn't start. It sounded like the battery was dead, but I had all of my electrical stuff. Anyhow, long story short, the next morning, I was able to determine that the starter solenoid had gone bad, so I replaced it, and everything was fine. Now, about a week ago, I was on my lunch break, so I went up to visit with my grandpa (who lives about 2 miles from school) When I got back to the school, I parked my Bronco, but it was raining, and I noticed a closer parking spot, so I went to move it, and gues what, it wouldn't start. I was able to get it started after about 30 minutes, and it has been sitting ever since. I would take a screwdriver and bypass the solenoid, but it sounded like the starter was bad, so today I replaced the starter, and nothing changed. Tomorrow, I'm going to put another solenoid in it, and hope for the best. If that doesn't work, does anyone have an idea of what the problem might be? Any input would greatly be appreciated. Thanx
billybadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2001, 22:52   #2 (permalink)
Grand Muckety Muck

does it still click as if it were the solenoid? Do you still have all your lights etc? It may be a problemwith teh battery cables either from the solenoid to the battery or the solenoid to the starter. Or you may have gotten a bum solenoid. Take it of and have it tested.
Trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 18:45   #3 (permalink)
Multi Car Owner

Perhaps a bad battery? I had one jsut recently, worked fine all the time not one problem, then on day NOTHING. It had some type of short in it. Perhaps yours does? Check all cable I assume you did?
Marqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 15:17   #4 (permalink)
POC Mod/Probe GT Member

I had the very same problem recently and it turned out being the ignition switch inside the distributor. I didn't have the time or tools so I took into the shop and the total was Parts + Labor + Tax = $230
http://www.bapoc.com
BAPOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2001, 19:01   #5 (permalink)
POC Mod/Probe GT Member

Sorry it actually is called the ignition module.
http://www.bapoc.com
BAPOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2001, 23:07   #6 (permalink)
Grand Muckety Muck

The ignition module is easy to change. All you need is a Ford Ignition Module wrench (avail at your local auto parts store) and some time. Usually, the thing is a bit of a pain to get to as(depending on the year) it's on the backside of the disty. There are two bolts holding it on, and it plugs right into the disty. When you see what you're facing, you'll see it's pretty straightforward.

*note*

On some years, the ignition module is on the fenderwell. It looks like a box with two plugs coming off it. Again, it's really easy to remove/replace as there are only 4 bolts(easy to get to) and it takes aboot five minutes.
Trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 19:34   #7 (permalink)
Bronco Member

had similar problem..

hmm...
you know that is strange. i had a similar problem with my 83. replaced the starter and it worked for months. then one day boom not enough juice to turn over (turned over really slow).
i replaced the alternator and battery and that worked fine....for about a month. i replaced the starter again and it worked for over a year. i heard from a mechanic that the remanufactured starters you get at the autoparts stores have poor quality control (distance between the brushes)....

good luck!
remat457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 00:28   #8 (permalink)
Bronco XLT Member

Thank You

Thank you all for your input. I replaced the solenoid, and it has been working fine since, although, something strange did happen. My parents bought me a new stereo system for my birthday. I had been driving my subaru to work and school (untill I wrecked it, I'll post that later) to save on gas, so the day before my birthday my parents, without me knowing, took my Bronco down and had this killer system put in it. That night thay threw me a party, everything was cool, then my mom gave me a birthday card that (on the inside) said go look in your Bronco, I went out, checked it out, then my friends wanted to go for a cruise, so we got in, I turned the key, and OHMIGOD!! The sound comming from under the hood was unbearable. Well, long story short, the next morning I crawled underneath, and noticed that the starter was loose, and hanging by one bolt. I tightened it back up, and havn't had any problems. The only thing I can figure is that someone tried to steal the starter in the middle of the night. Kinda pissed me off. Well, catch ya all later
billybadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Bronco Forum