03 rattles and vibrates upon deceleration - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Excursion Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Excursion Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Excursion.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 20:03   #1 (permalink)

03 rattles and vibrates upon deceleration

When decelerating and approaching a stop the front end rattles From about 30mph down until about 10 mph. From 10-0, no rattle noticed. It actually shakes the pullout cup holder. I've heard that maybe balljoints or bushings. Big difference in repair costs. Any way to tell for sure?
Svaupell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2012, 20:45   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 03 rattles and vibrates upon deceleration

I don't think it's ball joints or bushings causing that. Are you applying the brakes when it does that?
Old 05-07-2012, 22:57   #3 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

It may be the disc brake rotors worn or warped if it does it under braking as Bert has asked.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:11   #4 (permalink)

Its very odd. It does do it upon braking, but then when I release the brake, and reapply, it doesn't occur if traveling less then 10 mph. I tried to roll slow with the brake applied, to see if I could feel the pads grab/not grab on the rotor (i have felt that before on my explorer and as such, replaced them) but could ot feel a thing. Someone mentioned a Sway Bar or its bushings to me yesterday. Hate to just start tearing it apart and replacing it all if I can same some time and money by isolating. Was thinking about lifting the front end, and doing the tire wiggle test, then try to wiggle the tie rod ends, and inspecting the pads.
Svaupell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 18:59   #5 (permalink)

Go on ebay and buy a front end kit. Its about 150 dollars. Best way to do it. Other than that I suspect it to be a balljoint if it comes from one side in particular and if you live in a rainy or snow area.

If it seems to be a uniformal sound coming from the center go inspect the swaybar and bushings. another thing you can do move the truck up and down to see where the news is coming from and add a lubricant on all the bushings one by one till you can isolate one. If that doesnt work do that to all the ball joints and lower/upper control arm bushings. until the noise stops the lube should stop it
crazygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Excursion Forum