Ford Forums banner

2000 Excursion Limited

13K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  360ci 
#1 ·
Hi I am new to this forum and am in need of some help.

I am looking at purchasing a used 2000 Excursion Limited for the purposes of towing a travel trailer that has a GVWR of 9000. I have been in contact with an individual who also tows a trailer and he has given me a couple of concerns with this vehicle.

However, i wanted to get some insight from people on here who have this vehicle.

The details on the truck are as follows:

2000 Limited
99,500 miles
Triton V10
VIN #1FMNU42S8YEE15545

My questions are:
What rear axle does this vehicle have? or how can I determine this.
What tires were standard on these? really looking for the weight range.
Will this tow a trailer of this size?

I appreciate any and all feedback.

Thank you,
Brian

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks for the codes. I looked again on the piller sticker and there isn't a code listed. However, I took the vehicle to a mechanic who check the sticker on the diff and determined it's a 3.73 Possie.

He also informed me that i need a little work done on it:

Back brakes
diff serviced
new tires

so my question is how difficult is it to replace pads on the excursion?

thanks,
Brian

#7 ·
The Excursion won't have any trouble towing that. 9K is the max weight, so I'm sure the trailer base weight is only around 6.5K plus whatever you want to throw in it (fluids, propane, gear, etc) you'll still be under 9K.

My 5.9L V8 3.92axle Durango tows 6.8K with ease. I can imagine the V10 Excursion will be similar as far as power to weight ratio is concerned.

Don't worry too much with tires. As long as their a LT (light truck tire) load rated "E", you can tow anything. To put it into some perspective, you'd have to put 2100lbs on the hitch before you'd have to worry about your tires. Just be sure they're at the proper air pressure as well. Not having the diesel engine lowers overall vehicle weight, so you have more payload.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.