00 Ford Taurus SE .Gas Tank - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009, 05:57   #1 (permalink)

00 Ford Taurus SE .Gas Tank

Ok i have a 00 Ford Taurus SE. I bought it Used..Ok It Said Full Tank When i got it,I drove about 100 Miles Still Full.So I came to the assumption it didnt work lol..i go to put gas in it and ..well u know how u go to fill up and the gas pump stops when the car is full of gas...well thats what my car does ..It takes forever jus putting 6 dollars in it..cause the gas pump keeps stoping and it's done that both times i've put gas in there..Two Different stores...any Ideas?
craigmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2009, 13:35   #2 (permalink)

Re: 00 Ford Taurus SE .Gas Tank

Your canister vent line could be plugged or the purge valve stuck closed. That fuel
system is sealed to atmospher and must vent through the canister. If its plugged you will have all kinds of trouble. The entire fuel fill, vent system will have to be checked.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 22:55   #3 (permalink)

What kinda Problems am i looking at ? and how hard is it to check the vent system ?.can a average man do it
craigmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 13:32   #4 (permalink)

Yes every average man or woman can do this if they have the training, tools, the skills,
and know what to look for and how to fix it when and if they find the propblem. Untill that time, send it out. No offence but this problem is E.P.A. sensitive and subject to
emission controls and laws. It can also seriously affect gas consumption and fail a smog
test. Some places you have to be certified to work on this system. Good luck
Old 03-10-2009, 16:39   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Isn't there a vent hose going up to the filler neck that can cause this problem also?
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 17:02   #6 (permalink)

NO. This system is SEALED to atmospher. All venting goes through the canister. There haven't been vent tubes to the filler neck for years in the newer cars and vans. My 92
F150 has no vent tube. It too is sealed to atmospher.
Old 03-10-2009, 18:07   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipset View Post
NO. This system is SEALED to atmospher. All venting goes through the canister. There haven't been vent tubes to the filler neck for years in the newer cars and vans. My 92
F150 has no vent tube. It too is sealed to atmospher.
I've got an 01 Taurus sitting outside with a smaller hose running alongside the filler hose that run's from the neck to the tank. I just ventured out in the rain to look.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:25   #8 (permalink)

That line does not vent the tank. Look carefully and you will see that it is
sealed behind the gas cap. Actually it does vent the tank but only one way. It will
allow air into the tank as fuel is consumed from the one way valve in the gas cap.
It will not allow air out of the tank. The tanks in the newer cars are pressureized.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:43   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Yes the smaller hose connecting the tank to the filler neck serves only as a vent for the tank as you fill it. It is sealed by the cap. The fuel system itself is vented through a purge/charcoal canister which is located under the spare tire well on this vehicle.

If there is a problem filling this vehicle then I would suspect the tank is not venting correctly to the filler neck. I would check both hoses from the neck to tank to make sure there is not a kink.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007