00 ses, feel pulsating from pedal when braking - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 22:50   #1 (permalink)

00 ses, feel pulsating from pedal when braking

Should check all the pads and rotors? Can that be done by an average man? Thanks in advance.
peteryjg2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2009, 14:18   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: 00 ses, feel pulsating from pedal when braking

Checking the pads and rotors can be done easily. Jack the vehicle up and remove the required wheel and you should be able to view the pads through the top of the calipers. If you have a fat head like myself, you may find it easier to turn the wheels to one side.

If the engine has no codes then I would rule out a bad ABS sensor and say that the rotors are undoubtedly warped. If there isn't much pad material left, it'd be a good choice to replace both the rotors and pads.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 16:44   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

I agree with 360. Take it from someone who's been there, replace the rotors, don't have them turned. I had mine turned and problem came back within a few thousand miles. Ceramic pads are also an excellent choice. I now have around 75k on the pads and rotors, no problems at all
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 18:06   #4 (permalink)

Thank you guys so much. Do you guys know how to check the ABS sensor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ci View Post
Checking the pads and rotors can be done easily. Jack the vehicle up and remove the required wheel and you should be able to view the pads through the top of the calipers. If you have a fat head like myself, you may find it easier to turn the wheels to one side.

If the engine has no codes then I would rule out a bad ABS sensor and say that the rotors are undoubtedly warped. If there isn't much pad material left, it'd be a good choice to replace both the rotors and pads.
Old 03-10-2009, 18:11   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

It's not going to be an ABS sensor. If the ABS light is not on then assume it's ok. I'm guessing 9 out of 10 Taurus' made in the late 90's and early 00's had the pulsating brake problem and it was due to crappy metal used to cast the rotors. I'm surprised there wasn't a recall on this issue.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:53   #6 (permalink)

Went to the garage yesterday. The technician said the front pads are at 50%, and rotors need to be resurfaced. They could not take out the rear brake drums. I have to go to the garage and check the rear brake again. Could you guys give me more advices!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
It's not going to be an ABS sensor. If the ABS light is not on then assume it's ok. I'm guessing 9 out of 10 Taurus' made in the late 90's and early 00's had the pulsating brake problem and it was due to crappy metal used to cast the rotors. I'm surprised there wasn't a recall on this issue.
Old 03-16-2009, 13:29   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

So did you have the front rotors resurfaced? The pulsating you feel is a warped or cracked rotor or drum.
Old 03-16-2009, 19:34   #8 (permalink)

It was Saturday. The garage was closed early. They said the drum brake may be also bad, but they did not have time to check the rear brake because the drum could not be taken out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
So did you have the front rotors resurfaced? The pulsating you feel is a warped or cracked rotor or drum.
Old 03-20-2009, 19:34   #9 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: 00 ses, feel pulsating from pedal when braking

I think you mean take the drum OFF. the drum is either rusted onto the hub (a little penetrating lube, a couple minutes soak time, then a few swift blows with a hammer in between the wheels studs and it should break loose) and/or the rear shoes are worn pretty low, and there is a thick rust ridge inside of the drum blocking the removal of the drum. The shoes have to be backed off (un-adjusted) so the drum can slide off easy. But alas, a rear drum on a Taurus/Sable isn't the easiest to back off without the right adjusting spoon, and still then it can be a little bit of a challenge. When they do get the drums off, make sure they check the wheel cylinders. They can sieze up.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007