00 Taurus DOHC, big noise from drivebelt and power steering pump - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 15:17   #1 (permalink)

00 Taurus DOHC, big noise from drivebelt and power steering pump

00 taurus DOHC, big noise from drivebelt and power steering pump when turning steering wheel. Steering fluid is plenty of, while could not get access to check wear indicator mark. What are the causes of the noise? thanks. Pete
peteryjg2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2012, 15:45   #2 (permalink)
Subaru/Ford guy.

Garage
Re: 00 Taurus DOHC, big noise from drivebelt and power steering pump

The big noise? Is it a squealing noise?

How-to directory.

Ford focus DTC codes.

Ford= First on race day.
djzx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:31   #3 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

If it almost sounds like it's cavitating, every Ford I've ever driven on a regular basis (our service vans are Fords, get a new one every 3-4 years) has done this as they get older. Since the company I work for pays for the maintenance, I decided to take one of the vans in so I could at least get an answer for quieting the PS down. The answer I got was that as long as the pump turns freely and the fluid isn't discolored, there's nothing wrong with it, it's just another noisy Ford.Check Your belt, check coloration and verify that it rotates freely with no slop in the shaft.

If the fluid looks dirty, but doesn't smell burnt, changing it sometimes help quiet them down. Contaminants in the oils can cause foaming in the pump. Low fluid will also make them noisy.

Age of the belt also comes into play. An older serpentine belt might look ok, just a little worn, but make a big noise. Gummed up idlers will also wreak havoc. They're engineered to maintain the proper amount tension on the belt, but if they cannot flex the way they're supposed to, you may get belt slap which can damage bearings on the attached devices.

Or, you can just have an older noisy Ford Power Steering Pump like mine.
CatSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 18:42   #4 (permalink)

I've got a new serpentine belt, but no time to chang that last weekend. Now it's very hard to turn the steering wheel. Any help? thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSkinner View Post
If it almost sounds like it's cavitating, every Ford I've ever driven on a regular basis (our service vans are Fords, get a new one every 3-4 years) has done this as they get older. Since the company I work for pays for the maintenance, I decided to take one of the vans in so I could at least get an answer for quieting the PS down. The answer I got was that as long as the pump turns freely and the fluid isn't discolored, there's nothing wrong with it, it's just another noisy Ford.Check Your belt, check coloration and verify that it rotates freely with no slop in the shaft.

If the fluid looks dirty, but doesn't smell burnt, changing it sometimes help quiet them down. Contaminants in the oils can cause foaming in the pump. Low fluid will also make them noisy.

Age of the belt also comes into play. An older serpentine belt might look ok, just a little worn, but make a big noise. Gummed up idlers will also wreak havoc. They're engineered to maintain the proper amount tension on the belt, but if they cannot flex the way they're supposed to, you may get belt slap which can damage bearings on the attached devices.

Or, you can just have an older noisy Ford Power Steering Pump like mine.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:49   #5 (permalink)

Have changed serpentine belt. Still very very hard to turn the steering wheel. Can I check the pressure of steering fluid? Any idea? thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteryjg2008 View Post
I've got a new serpentine belt, but no time to chang that last weekend. Now it's very hard to turn the steering wheel. Any help? thanks.
Old 06-15-2012, 17:37   #6 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

That's not what I've ever experienced. The power steering pump is nothing more than a hydraulic pump, basic explanation, you turn the wheel one way, hydraulic pressure is ported to one side of a ram which assists in turning the front wheels, turn it the other, and it's ported to the other side of the ram. If you go hard up, a relief lifts and gives you a little bit of a noise. It sounds like it's the pump, but a quick check (not necessarily a go-no go) is to block up the front end so the tires aren't touching the ground. Turn the car on and turn the wheels. The pump may or may not make the noise, but it should be relatively easy to turn. If it's binding, you might want to look into the rack and pinion, etc. for something binding first. Unfortunately, I don't know of anyway of checking pressure without a modification or special tooling.

A power steering pump from Advance Auto runs you about 50 bucks, and I don't know how good it is, just using it for a pricing reference. BUT, on a front wheel drive car, that's probably the easiest part of the power steering system to replace. Wish I could give you more info, but that's about all I know about power steering.
CatSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 18:03   #7 (permalink)

What type of Noise?? Squeaking?? High pitch?? or like a Clunk...or Thug/?? think you should replace the Pump...then check the Steering ... In board...and Out board CV's...
Old 06-15-2012, 19:47   #8 (permalink)

The noise is gone, just extremely hard to turn the steering wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling_Six View Post
What type of Noise?? Squeaking?? High pitch?? or like a Clunk...or Thug/?? think you should replace the Pump...then check the Steering ... In board...and Out board CV's...
Old 06-15-2012, 19:52   #9 (permalink)

Thanks a lot, I will block up the front end to check the loop, rack...if they all good, have to change the pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSkinner View Post
That's not what I've ever experienced. The power steering pump is nothing more than a hydraulic pump, basic explanation, you turn the wheel one way, hydraulic pressure is ported to one side of a ram which assists in turning the front wheels, turn it the other, and it's ported to the other side of the ram. If you go hard up, a relief lifts and gives you a little bit of a noise. It sounds like it's the pump, but a quick check (not necessarily a go-no go) is to block up the front end so the tires aren't touching the ground. Turn the car on and turn the wheels. The pump may or may not make the noise, but it should be relatively easy to turn. If it's binding, you might want to look into the rack and pinion, etc. for something binding first. Unfortunately, I don't know of anyway of checking pressure without a modification or special tooling.

A power steering pump from Advance Auto runs you about 50 bucks, and I don't know how good it is, just using it for a pricing reference. BUT, on a front wheel drive car, that's probably the easiest part of the power steering system to replace. Wish I could give you more info, but that's about all I know about power steering.
Old 06-16-2012, 19:51   #10 (permalink)

1 The steering wheel can turn lock to lock after jack up the front end of the car, so I think the steering gear is good.
2 I was shocked after check the steering fluid reservoir.There is nothing inside when the engine is off. After start engine, a little bit fluid (just can cover the reservoir bottom) was coming back and foaming. The fluid looks dirty and has a little bit burnt smell.
3 failed to follow the hoses from the reservoir to check out the leaking. The DOHC engine compartment is very tight.

any idea? thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteryjg2008 View Post
Thanks a lot, I will block up the front end to check the loop, rack...if they all good, have to change the pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007