01 Sable Transaxle Light Flash - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2009, 10:44   #1 (permalink)

01 Sable Transaxle Light Flash

I have an 01 Sable and just recently the car began to not want to shift ito I believe 4th or OD. The car will shift smooth and fine, but not into 4th or OD and will accelerate but never shift. Could this be a sensor? I have taken it to Auto Zone but nothign other than a code showing a vac leak, which I still can not find yet. I had the fluid changed about 70k ago the car has 184k on it all hwy, the fluid is full, good color no smell. Any help would be great. you can e-mail me direct at mturner476@aol.com
mturner476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2009, 15:29   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 01 Sable Transaxle Light Flash

For a "No upshift to 4th" there aren't any sensors as such. The causes are: shift linkage, overdrive servo assy., main valve body, accumulator assy., support assyembly-driven socket, or overdrive band. It would probably be a good idea to take it to a reputable shop.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 18:48   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturner476 View Post
I have an 01 Sable and just recently the car began to not want to shift ito I believe 4th or OD. The car will shift smooth and fine, but not into 4th or OD and will accelerate but never shift. Could this be a sensor? I have taken it to Auto Zone but nothign other than a code showing a vac leak, which I still can not find yet. I had the fluid changed about 70k ago the car has 184k on it all hwy, the fluid is full, good color no smell. Any help would be great. you can e-mail me direct at mturner476@aol.com

Hello and good day:

Please check this Fuse
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2001 Merc Sable.JPG (66.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 09-01-2009, 11:45   #4 (permalink)

Sterling,
The only fuse box I can find is under the hood of set to the drivers side, there is no internal box inside the car; the fuse located in 32 is a rather large one black in color. Is this the correct location?

RTG,
I would like to add that once the transaxle light begins to flash which only happens if driven hard (quick acceleration) after what I think is 3rd gear, the car will then begin to shift hard if stopped at a traffic light then going again, but never going into what I think is 4th or higher. Now the shifting hard will stop if I pull over turn off the car and restart it.

Thank you to the both of you I am going to use both advice once I find out the fuse location.

Confused in Florida (Mike)
Old 09-01-2009, 12:56   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

If it doesn't do it all the time, the fuse probably isn't it. Since it happens after driven hard, maybe a trans service will help. Replace the trans. filter and fluid and you might have the problem solved.
Old 09-01-2009, 16:45   #6 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: 01 Sable Transaxle Light Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturner476 View Post
Sterling,
The only fuse box I can find is under the hood of set to the drivers side, there is no internal box inside the car; the fuse located in 32 is a rather large one black in color. Is this the correct location?

RTG,
I would like to add that once the transaxle light begins to flash which only happens if driven hard (quick acceleration) after what I think is 3rd gear, the car will then begin to shift hard if stopped at a traffic light then going again, but never going into what I think is 4th or higher. Now the shifting hard will stop if I pull over turn off the car and restart it.

Thank you to the both of you I am going to use both advice once I find out the fuse location.

Confused in Florida (Mike)
Inside fuse block is under left side of dash by the way, to the left of the brake pedal. There may be a tall black cover over it.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:06   #7 (permalink)

Ok, sorry for not posting any new info, but due to lack of funds (unemployed) the ability to have addtional 75-100 for simple service checks at tranny shops is very tough. Any how I was able this morning withthe assistance of a friend visit a mechanic who was able to code out that the Tranny is showing improper gear ratio.....He also believed this is an electrical issue. Has anyone come across this type of codeing? I am not sure of the numbers of the code, but again was advised that it is showing gear ratio errors.

Knowing this now is a sensor the right thing to be looking for? I also know that all sensors are in the housing of the tranny & based on this type of info can any one ball park a rough cost?

Oh and I pulled out the number 32 fuse in the inside fuse box but it showed no visable signs of being damaged.

Thanks again
Old 09-14-2009, 11:40   #8 (permalink)

Ok group I just returned from a tranny shop that drove the car and had the comp hooked up etc, I have been told that the car is shifting into 4th but the comp is not recognizing it. They have stated that it is possible a selinod has gone bad there are 3 from what I understand, but 1st suggest that they do a service which would include droping the pan and upon that if anything showed up in the pan then go for the selinod change out, leaving still a possible throttle body issue. Question would I be simply better off with attemtping to purchase a used low mileage tranny and having that installed. I was quoted at 600 to do the service and change out the selinods?

Mike
Old 09-14-2009, 19:45   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Why change all three solenoids if one is sticking. I'd get a second opinion. The trans service is important to have done. That can be done and see if the solenoid quits sticking. A replacement trans, unless it's rebuilt. could ave a problem and need repairing. Usually it runs around $2300 for a rebuilt, depending on where it's done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007