01 vulcan serpentine squeal that wont go away! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 19:13   #1 (permalink)

01 vulcan serpentine squeal that wont go away!

First post/ thread so hello all,
Sooo 01 taurus 3.0 ohv vulcan sqealing noise from serpentine area.
I first thought it was the idler pully, replaced and still there.
Belt replaced and nope still there
ok tensioner pully, bought it tried to replace it and could not remove the pully from the tensioner so i figure it needs to be pulled and i dont wanna pull the engine to do this...
I bought a new alternator and replaced it just to rule that out and yup still there.

The major diagnostic is i squirt the idler pully and the belt and no more sqeal.

My research has found this;
Not the sensor on the tranny side definatly serpintine side
might wanna try belt dressing but it sounds so grindy dry bearing noise
I am frustrated and looking for any advice before going to a shop

thanks in advance
Mike
mikeysbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2010, 20:27   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 01 vulcan serpentine squeal that wont go away!

An out of aligned pulley, debri in the grooves, and sometimes an aftermarket belt will cause that to happen. We've had the best luck with Goodyear or OEM belts. Not Dayco or Gates.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:14   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for your input!
Do you reccomend trying belt dressing???
or just replacing the belt as described
all the accesories spin true.. by eye they all look square while running
the tensioner hops around a little when running but nothing that seems un normal

Thanks again
mikeysbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:06   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The tensioner may be getting weak and not holding the belt tight enough. Never use belt dressing. It will bick up dirt and coat the grooves and there'll be a lot to clean up.
Old 02-03-2012, 14:27   #5 (permalink)

Exclamation Re: 01 vulcan serpentine squeal that wont go away!

Ahoy guys I had a squealing serpentine belt on my 2000 windstar when turning the power steering. The belt was ok not frayed or worn out so the obvious reason was the belt tensioner's spring was getting weak and was not applying enough pressure to keep the belt tight. I was in no mood to go spend a $100.00 for a new part. What I did was to remove the 3 bolts holding the alternator to it's bracket grabbed 6 flat washers and epoxied 2 of them together to give me 3 thick washers I then epoxied the washers to the bracket bolt holes so they would not fall off while reinstalling the alternator and voila no more squeal and $100.00 still in my pocket.Would of saved some time if I would of had thicker washers to start with but it's a long drive to town to get the right ones so I MaGivered what I had and raised the alternator enough to give some extra tension to the belt. The bonus to this is I didn't even have to remove the belt and the night mare of rerouting it through the maze of pulleys in a very tight space. Hope this quick fix helps somebody out.
foune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 16:06   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I had a noise on my Taurus and replaced it with a Gates belt. In a couple of months it was noisey again. I got one from Ford and putting it on showed that it was a little shorte making much more thension on it. It never made the noise again.
Old 02-05-2012, 20:07   #7 (permalink)
canuck

Goodyear gatorback make good belts as well. I run a prestone one on my Taurus and have no complaints. make sure that the pulley and belt are running straight and true. The idler is generally the first pulley to wear out.

This is my 5.9L Durango. I replaced the PS hoses due to a leak and the noise went away. Three years and still original pump and pulley
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007