02 Removing Harmonic Balancer - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2008, 18:54   #1 (permalink)

02 Removing Harmonic Balancer

02 Taurus OHC:

How do I remove the Balancer without spinning the crank? Is there a way I can hold the crank in place? I have the proper tool to remove the balancer, but crank moves. Do I need to WD40 it?
deezozford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2008, 20:50   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: 02 Removing Harmonic Balancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezozford View Post
02 Taurus OHC:

How do I remove the Balancer without spinning the crank? Is there a way I can hold the crank in place? I have the proper tool to remove the balancer, but crank moves. Do I need to WD40 it?
If you mean the DOHC Duratec, special tool 303-544 (T96P-6375-A) is a flywheel holding tool that slips is where the plastic access cover mounts on the bell housing. The bolt for the crankshaft pulley is a left hand thread. The bolt for the dampener is a regular thread.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 00:19   #3 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

Re: 02 Removing Harmonic Balancer

You could put a good six sided socket and a 1/2" ratchet wrench on the bolt. Set the ratchet so it almost touches the subframe and bump the starter a couple of times. The user a standard steering wheel puller to get the actual pulley off.
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 16:24   #4 (permalink)

Oh, so I have to take the bolt off. The Taurus engine is actually a OHV. I was following the Haynes manual, and it did not state removing the center bolt, so that is why the damper was not coming off? OK, I'll remove the bolt by performing what was advised. I saw that trick with the removal of that bolt on an online video - pretty cool trick.
Old 08-05-2008, 18:46   #5 (permalink)

Can not bump the starter due to it is out of the vehicle and the battery is dead. Will placing the car in gear work to? Or, is there another way? I might just take the engine out of the vehicle, so that I can see and work on it better.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:12   #6 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Quote:
Can not bump the starter due to it is out of the vehicle and the battery is dead. Will placing the car in gear work to? Or, is there another way? I might just take the engine out of the vehicle, so that I can see and work on it better.
An 1/2 drive impact gun, a LONG breaker bar.
Old 08-06-2008, 16:16   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird100636 View Post
An 1/2 drive impact gun, a LONG breaker bar.
With the breaker bar, is it used as a leverage to hold the crank from spinning? Someone else advised me to use an impact gun - easier and better, but how do you actually hold that crank from spinning? The only way, so far, that I see is to remove the engine and leverage a pry bar on the flexplate and then loosen the nut. I've taken the starter out to see if I can leverage a pry bar on the flex plate, but there is no place to hold it in position to prevent it from spinning. Perhaps I need to call buddy over and put two heads together :beer2
Old 08-07-2008, 17:27   #8 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Quote:
With the breaker bar, is it used as a leverage to hold the crank from spinning? Someone else advised me to use an impact gun - easier and better, but how do you actually hold that crank from spinning? The only way, so far, that I see is to remove the engine and leverage a pry bar on the flexplate and then loosen the nut. I've taken the starter out to see if I can leverage a pry bar on the flex plate, but there is no place to hold it in position to prevent it from spinning. Perhaps I need to call buddy over and put two heads together :beer2
You won't have to hold the crank if using an impact gun. The vibration on the bolt will do the trick. As for using a breaker bar, make sure it's on there good and give the bar a good hard jerk. If It still doesn't work strike it with a hammer. The compression of the motor will eventually prevent the crank from turning.
Old 08-08-2008, 22:35   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007