02 Sable - Rough Idle - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2009, 20:13   #1 (permalink)

02 Sable - Rough Idle

2002 Sable DOHC - Vin "S" 80k miles. Car has been running fine. When I went to start it today it did not "catch" but I heard a single "pop" type of noise. Turned key again and it started but with very rough idle. Shut down, started again and it idled up to about 2,000 and slowly idled down to where it became rough again. No check engine light through any of this. Disconnected MAF and idle was slightly better for 5 seconds or so. disconnected IAC and engine stalled. Pulled both and very clean.

I am beginning to suspect the EGR. I seem to get no vacuum to it at any RPM. Not sure why not. However, I also occasionally hear a clunk coming from that general area. Also, on braking a second immediate pump of the pedal seems like there is little or no vacum. In a few seconds it comes back good enough for one pump. Do I have a major vacuum leak? Could that have been the "pop" I heard?

One thing I know for sure is that this is not as easy as my '66 Mustang - the good old days. Any help is appeciated.
il66pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2009, 20:31   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 02 Sable - Rough Idle

When it popped, it probably blew a vacuum hose off. Look around the manifold to see if you can see a fitting or hose that's misplaced.
Old 11-28-2009, 21:14   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg143 View Post
When it popped, it probably blew a vacuum hose off. Look around the manifold to see if you can see a fitting or hose that's misplaced.
Thanks. I will do more looking
Old 11-29-2009, 11:12   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by il66pony View Post
Thanks. I will do more looking
I could not find anything obvious. On a different Taurus forum (taurasclub.com) I found info suggesting it could be the metal/rubber hose leading to the PCV. Evidently, these can pop a leak over time. I think I found it but it appears to be totally inaccessible without tearing down the top of the engine. A vacuum leak would explain the lack of assist on the brakes and no vacuum at the egr vacuum line as well as the rough idle.

I have had nothing but Fords since 1993 and have never had an engine problem. I sort of gave up working on engines when carburetors went away. You think I should take out a second mortgage and go to a Ford dealer?
Old 11-29-2009, 11:37   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

If you mark everything as you go, you should be able to do it. You could also get an estimate from the dealer to see what they'd charge.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007