02 Taurus Alternator - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2007, 04:01   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation 02 Taurus Alternator

As my car gets to the 5 yr mark, it's had it's share of problems. None bigger than waht happened yesterday. I was called to the parking lot of my job, b/c the hood of my car was on fire.

Once they got the fire out and looked over my car, the inspector said that it looked as though the fire started from my alternator and spread.

From what I saw (and I'm no car expert), the wiring to the alternator was all black and charred, the power steering cap was melted shut over the power steering reservoir, and what looks like a hose or piping infront of the power steering reservoir had a huge gaping hole in it.

My insurance (S.O.B's ) won't cover this, b/c they are claiming that it was a maintenance problem that caused it. Don't know how, b/c I just had the alternator replaced in Nov 06.

Without being able to actually look @ my car, what do you think I should do? Please help. I only have like 3 car payments left on this car.
the-kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2007, 16:23   #2 (permalink)
Always the student

Re: 02 Taurus Alternator

Ford has had issues with fires. I know one was alternator problems, (at the connector, I think) I remember hearing of vehicle fires because of ignition switch problems and if memory serves me correct coil problems too. I don't know how much damage you have, but it will probably be a pain to repair. I've had two vehicle fires that I repaired myself. After the first one, I swore I'd never do it again. When the second one happened, I thought no way!! Next day popped the hood and thought, aww it don't look to bad and fixed it too. Neither one was much fun. If you do the repair yourself, just make sure you check the wires back far enough before splicing into them. Also make sure you do your splices correctly.
Have fun!!
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 17:29   #3 (permalink)

Ouch. Thanks for replying. I wish that I would've known about that before. I definitely won't be making the repairs myself.

I'll be taking my car in sometime next week. Any idea how much my pockets will be hurting? I need to prepare myself. . .
the-kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:57   #4 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

Only time I've heard of fires or melting parts due to the alternator is the post/cable end being corroded on the older cars. I would think the cable shorted out as it runs right under the PS reservoir and at that point is unfused.

Bearings seizing and slow death due to regulator/brushes or diode pack are the usual alternator failure modes of the +'96 cars.
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 15:13   #5 (permalink)
Always the student

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOZ123
Only time I've heard of fires or melting parts due to the alternator is the post/cable end being corroded on the older cars. I would think the cable shorted out as it runs right under the PS reservoir and at that point is unfused.

Bearings seizing and slow death due to regulator/brushes or diode pack are the usual alternator failure modes of the +'96 cars.
When I replaced an alt on my 1985 F150, the replacement alt had a tag on it, stating something along the lines of..... clean the elect connector and use dielectric grease on the connection because fire damage could result.
(2 cents)
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007