Ford Forums banner

02 Taurus SEL Oil leak?

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  RogerB34 
#1 ·
I have an 02 ford taurus sel with about 69,000 miles on it. I am trying to pinpoint an oil leak that i am pretty sure is coming from the oil pan when parked in my garage it leaks and leaves a oil drip pattern the shape of the bottom of the oil pan. Is the oil pan/gasket or could this be coming from somewhere else. Also if it is oil pan/gasket how do i remove the oil pan without taking off the exhaust?

#2 ·
I have an 02 ford taurus sel with about 69,000 miles on it. I am trying to pinpoint an oil leak that i am pretty sure is coming from the oil pan when parked in my garage it leaks and leaves a oil drip pattern the shape of the bottom of the oil pan. Is the oil pan/gasket or could this be coming from somewhere else. Also if it is oil pan/gasket how do i remove the oil pan without taking off the exhaust?
You can't get it off without removing or unbolting the cats. Only way you'll know for sure is by getting under it and looking at it. If it's an SEL I'd expect a Duratec engine, but by some odd chance do you have a Vulcan motor???

#4 ·
It's the Duratec and by removing the exhaust do I absolutely have to unbolt at the manifold??? I would prefer not to take the chance of doing so if possible being as the car is 6 years old and don't want the bolts to snap off into the manifold that would suck...
Yes it would put a damper on things, but the only way to get the pan out. Soak the bolts with a good penetraiting oil before doing it. Another leak source on Duratecs is the bottom of the P/S pump. It seeps a little over time. But get some good plastic ramps and get under there for a look before jumping into a big job.

#6 ·
The 05 Duratec 30 doesn't have a conventional oil pan gasket. Silicone Gasket and Sealant. Likely 02 also.
Here's what I did:
Put the car on jacks front end at jack points. Just behind (aft) the subframe to body attach bolt/bushing. Chock rear wheels and set parking brake for safety.
Remove rt front (or whichever side).
Initial clean lower part of engine and tranny by hand paper towel.
Use brake cleaner from bottom, wheel well and top to suspected leak area.
I used two cans. Several newspapers under drip area.
Finish wiping with paper towel.
Recheck after operation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.