Ford Forums banner

03 Taurus Issues

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Sterling_Six 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! I've come to this forum in hopes someone can help us figure out what is going on with our 2003 Taurus. Before I begin the Taurus is Vin U with a 3.0 12 valve engine. Well, here's the story...

About a week ago, my husband was on the freeway headed to work and the car started losing power and dropping speed. Within a mile or so his speed had dropped from 70mph to barely 30 and then he heard a loud boom and the car died. We had it towed home and upon inspection found that one of the spark plugs had exploded. My husband removed what was left of the spark plug and did a turn up on the car. Now it starts fine but is misfiring badly and heating up when you drive it around the block.

So our question is, what could be wrong with it now? My husband's ideas are that the catalytic converter may be clogged up causing the car to overheat and cooked the ignition coil and/or that the timing may have jumped from the spark plug explosion. Are those reasonable theories or could there be another culprit?

Thank you in advance to any replies.

#2 ·
Did you replace the Coil Pack??...if the Catalytic converter was clogged it would cause the engine light to come on with some type of error code. the codes should read the O2 sensor is bad or some thing...Overheating could be a number of causes. from coolant to oil. even little or no Tranny fluid...It is possible that the timing chain slipped but highly unlikely. give us more info...and what you have done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.