Ford Forums banner

03 Taurus rear brakes... help please

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Bert 
#1 ·
I just put all new rear drum brakes on this. I have a slight clunking sound at about one wheel rotation from about 40 down to 20 mph. I'm not sure if I got the top cross spring on correctly. Anybody know how the end opposite the star lever is supposed to hook in. It doesn't have a loop ... but a funky shape & doesn't go in that well??

#2 ·
Am having the same issue with mine. Did the driver side rear drum w/ no issues. went to do the pass., side and found out the that side wasnt working at all. Brake fluid had been leaking in the drum. Well I replaced the leaking Wheel Cylinder, new hardware , drum and shoes. Adjusted them up so w/ the tire on it only spins 1 turn. bled the brakes no air, clean fluid. when i took it for a drive the brakes work great. Except when I brake around 30-20 I get a clunk clunk from that side. It dosnt happen when when I am off the brakes. Went back and checked the springs and shoes everything is perfect. Even rebled them.

am starting to think it may not be the brakes at all but perhaps the action of brakeing is making something else rattle, like a bushing is gone and its rubbing metal to metal. remember that side wasnt working at all.

let me know how you make out.

#5 ·
I will tell you what is frustrating. I know the brakes are working. Had the rear struts done 2 months ago. Did notice there is an arm that comes from the center of the car to the rear of the housing the bushing are gone , hence while braking perhaps its rubbing metal to metal. It may have been a issue before I did the brakes and since that drum wasnt working, we didnt hear it.

well the wife is taking it to her mech cus it's beyond me at this point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.