04 Taurus Ses transmission then other issues. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 19:47   #1 (permalink)

04 Taurus Ses transmission then other issues.

Hello all new here and coming to you all for your experience and knowledge.

I have a 04 Taurus Ses 24 valve dohc with 3.0 v6 Duratec

Okay first my transmission went out on me driving down the road. (found out after words it is common with the AX4N tranny).

Any who, I got my replacement put in. I got a tranny from a auto recycle shop.

My mechanic pulled the whole motor out to do the work. (I have heard since that it could have been done without doing so but.....)

So the tranny seems to be doing what it should be doing but now I am getting several different codes that never existed prior.

Also my check transmission is coming up on display.

Codes:
P0059 heated oxygen sensor bank 2 sensor 1 (HO2S21) heater control

P2197 lack of heated oxygen sensor bank 2 sensor 1 (HO2S21) switch sensor indicated lean

P0355 ignition coil primary circuit condition coil number 5

P0755 shift solenoid 2 circuit condition

P1715 Shift solenoid number 2 failure

Check engine light stays on. Not flashing. As stated before check transmission comes on. It does occasionally seem to miss now also.
My gas mileage is awful now also. Was 24 mpg now maybe 13-16.

I am thinking that all wiring or something did not get hooked back up.

Also big question? After putting tranny in the way it was could the check transmission be on because the computer needs reset possibly?
babetta29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 19:53   #2 (permalink)

Re: 04 Taurus Ses transmission then other issues.

Also need to mention that I have no clue where all these sensors and such are located.

I am just the
Old 03-13-2012, 08:03   #3 (permalink)

First thing. Your transmission comes out the bottom. Motor not need to be pulled.
You have to have the right transmission. 04 - 05 only. Sounds like your O2 sensors are
not plugged in. That will give you back mileage. Your shift solenoids are inside the side
pan. good luck. What did they charge for trans and install ?
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 18:16   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipset View Post
First thing. Your transmission comes out the bottom. Motor not need to be pulled.
You have to have the right transmission. 04 - 05 only. Sounds like your O2 sensors are
not plugged in. That will give you back mileage. Your shift solenoids are inside the side
pan. good luck. What did they charge for trans and install ?
Yeah I was told that the tranny could come out from bottom after the job was done.

Tranny was $500 and install was $300. It was out of a 04.

Where is the pan to get to the shift solenoids? You mean the transmission pan?
Old 03-13-2012, 20:01   #5 (permalink)

If i remember correctly that transmission has 2 pans. One underneath and one on the driver side. Your solenoids are in the side pan. The reason i asked about the price is parts with new converter to rebuild that transmission is about $650.00. Parts only. You spent 500 for a used transmission and you have no idea of how long it will last or if it will last. I always say rebuild what you have because you know what you have but sometime money is the issue and time. No offense. The thing is you have to have a proper transmission scanner put on it to see what the problem is. Your code reader reads
codes and puts out numbers. That is all it does.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:02   #6 (permalink)

I would be on the road back to the transmission shop pronto. They didn't hook up all the gizmos {O2 sensor & wiring} or they broke them when they hoisted the engine out and didn't replace... The #5 COP is the middle one on the front bank. Easy to hit when you are hoisting if you aren't careful. The O2 would be down the exhaust pipe from the front mannifold, before the Y joins together, I think.
The shift solenoids may not be connected correctly or tightly causing the #2 solenoid problem. Or it could be the solenoid.
tom
tomw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 20:11   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipset View Post
If i remember correctly that transmission has 2 pans. One underneath and one on the driver side. Your solenoids are in the side pan. The reason i asked about the price is parts with new converter to rebuild that transmission is about $650.00. Parts only. You spent 500 for a used transmission and you have no idea of how long it will last or if it will last. I always say rebuild what you have because you know what you have but sometime money is the issue and time. No offense. The thing is you have to have a proper transmission scanner put on it to see what the problem is. Your code reader reads
codes and puts out numbers. That is all it does.
I was quoted a rebuild of $650 on just torque converter with no guarantee. I explored these options but from what I read a rebuild on the converter sheds metals into the transmission that can be harmful.

Complete rebuild of tranny was $1200 with 60 day warranty. I am in country so not many options.

I put a code reader on it before work was done and it would not throw a single code. But obviously it the transmission was out prior to rebuild.
Old 03-28-2012, 20:14   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomw View Post
I would be on the road back to the transmission shop pronto. They didn't hook up all the gizmos {O2 sensor & wiring} or they broke them when they hoisted the engine out and didn't replace... The #5 COP is the middle one on the front bank. Easy to hit when you are hoisting if you aren't careful. The O2 would be down the exhaust pipe from the front mannifold, before the Y joins together, I think.
The shift solenoids may not be connected correctly or tightly causing the #2 solenoid problem. Or it could be the solenoid.
tom
Yeah this is exactly my thought. Something was damaged or not hooked up.

It is throwing codes that was never a issue until motor pull.

I have not taken it back YET but very friendly mechanic has no issue with insuring that it is taken care of.

Thank you all for your input and sorry it took so long to get back to the forums.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007