04 Taurus won't start yesterday, won't crank today - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2008, 16:33   #1 (permalink)

04 Taurus won't start yesterday, won't crank today

Yesterday my wife told me her car didn't want to start. Said the motor had to roll over much more than normal before it started. This evening I went out for her to show me and it would not crank! Nothing, one big CLACK! and that was it. I looked at the battery cable and the positive was corroded so I cleaned it well and out it back on. The eye on the battery is green, the voltage on the battery is 12.5. If you turn on the head lights they are bright.

I know I am describing two issues here. One would not start and no won't crank. That's why I am baffled. One should not effect the other?????

Any help is appreciated

David
SC_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2008, 18:06   #2 (permalink)
Always the student

Re: 04 Taurus won't start yesterday, won't crank today

Obviously if it won't crank it can't start. That aside, solve the cranking issue first. Sounds like the battery may be ok. Check all connections battery>solenoid>starter. Starter could be bad or possibly siezed motor. See if you can turn the engine by hand, that will eliminate (or confirm) the siezed engine part. When you try to crank, do yu hear any noise? ie, single click or rapid clicks, or do the lights go dim?
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 18:14   #3 (permalink)

One big clack. Had the lights on to see if they dimmed. They went completely out.
Old 09-29-2008, 20:28   #4 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Question Re: 04 Taurus won't start yesterday, won't crank today

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
One big clack. Had the lights on to see if they dimmed. They went completely out.
Then you still have a battery connection issue or the battery is very weak. Make sure the battery connections are clean and tight. Take a screwdriver and put it in between the cable clamp and it's terminal if possible. If it now starts it's a connection issue. If it does the same thing then it's most likely a battery. When the lights go completely go out do they come back on right away or is there about a ten second delay and they gradually come back???
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:47   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird100636 View Post
Then you still have a battery connection issue or the battery is very weak. Make sure the battery connections are clean and tight. Take a screwdriver and put it in between the cable clamp and it's terminal if possible. If it now starts it's a connection issue. If it does the same thing then it's most likely a battery. When the lights go completely go out do they come back on right away or is there about a ten second delay and they gradually come back???
They come back on after 30 seconds or a minute.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:21   #6 (permalink)

OK, replaced the battery after finding it was bad. Cranking good now but still have the a hard to start problem. It will eventually start but it's after several attempts.
Old 09-30-2008, 21:02   #7 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: 04 Taurus won't start yesterday, won't crank today

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
OK, replaced the battery after finding it was bad. Cranking good now but still have the a hard to start problem. It will eventually start but it's after several attempts.
Start by checking fuel pressure with a gauge.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007