'05 Taurus-Can I Permanently Attach The Crusie Control Cable To The Throttle Control? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2013, 17:54   #1 (permalink)

'05 Taurus-Can I Permanently Attach The Cruise Control Cable To The Throttle Control?

The U shaped connecter for the Cruise Control cable on my wife's '05 Taurus keeps popping off of the plastic post on the throttle control. It happens about once a month.

As you can see here, the connector is off, but the plastic bracket that has been known to break is completely intact.

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...pse77f8f23.jpg

As some of you may know, once the cruise control cable comes off the throttle control, the Taurus tends to accelerate by itself. Tapping the accelerator stops the acceleration.

Nothing appears to be broken, but obviously something is out of whack.

I have found that when the connector is off, there is a couple of inches of play in the cruise control cable. In other words, I can slide it in and out of the cable sleeve a couple of inches. I don't know if that is normal or not.

Once I reattach the connector, the car runs fine, the cruise control works and everything appears to be normal...until the next time the connector pops off. I should add that my wife *never* uses the cruise control, therefore the connector is popping off during basic accelerator usage.

A single tie-wrap around the connector could be used to prevent it from popping off of the post. However, I don't want to do that if that is going to introduce some kind of unsafe condition related to the accelerator.

I'm looking for opinions on whether permanently attaching the cruise control cable to the throttle control would be a safe thing to do.

Thanks!
DerbyDad03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2013, 18:03   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: '05 Taurus-Can I Permanently Attach The Crusie Control Cable To The Throttle Cont

I thought there was a clip that locked that on.
Old 05-26-2013, 18:11   #3 (permalink)

Re: '05 Taurus-Can I Permanently Attach The Crusie Control Cable To The Throttle Cont

Interesting...it appears that I'm not the only one that has considered the tie-wrap fix. I've now seen it mentioned on a few sites and even found this picture:

ImageShack« - Online Photo and Video Hosting

I'm still wondering if it's safe. It sure seems safer than a self accelerating car.

As far as I can tell, there does not appear to be a recall for this issue.
Old 05-26-2013, 18:24   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSkinner View Post
I thought there was a clip that locked that on.
Not from what I've seen in pictures on the web. It appears to be just a U-shaped connector that slips over the post.

See here for one example: (fuzzy picture, but it looks just like my connector)

2005 Ford Taurus Accelerator Gets Stuck | CarComplaints.com

My son has a 1996 Taurus and they used a different connector back then. It is a "full connector", not just a U, so it can't slip off. That's what makes me think a tie-wrap would be OK, but there may be other differences in the cruise control set-up since the cars are 9 years apart.
Old 05-26-2013, 18:33   #5 (permalink)

Here's a better pic:

Cruise Control Cable
Old 05-26-2013, 19:25   #6 (permalink)

My advice is just be careful with whatever you do around that throttle!

Last winter I changed a spark plug wire that passes through a plastic conduit right next to the throttle. Anyway, I dropped/lost the screws that held the conduit together.

About two weeks later I passed somebody on Rt. 95 in our area. It was a pass where I quickly accelerated with the "pedal to the metal!" WHAT A SURPRISE! At the time I had one of our tenants with me. The car continued to accelerate even with my foot off the gas pedal. I took an exit at about 50, put the car into neutral while the engine raced away. People on the sidewalks were giving me weird looks as teh car was slowing down but the engine turning around 5K RPMs.

NOW TO MAKE MATTERS WORSE..........I HAD NO BRAKES!!!!! Think about it! With the throttle wide open, there is no vacuum. No vacuum and the power brakes will not function!

All ended without injury as I coasted to a stop. Shut the engine down and found the problem with the conduit jammed into the throttle so taht it could not drop back as it should have. Now I don't have the tenant asking for a ride anymore
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 21:33   #7 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: '05 Taurus-Can I Permanently Attach The Crusie Control Cable To The Throttle Cont

The cruise cable popping off the way yours does will not cause the accelerator pedal to stick. The throttle body lever has a coiled return spring on it besides the silver return spring between the cable. If it was still binding then the throttle body may be excessively dirty, or the cable would be coming off in such a way where it's jamming between the throttle lever and something else. The cruise cable will have in and out slack as you describe. Do not zip tie the cable to the throttle lever!!! This will cause binding!!!

If you don't use it leave the cable disconnected, and undo the cable from the bracket and set it aside. Or... the cruise cable is the same as past Tauruses, the cable is replaceable separately from the cruise servo. It's very easy to do, basic Ford part # is 9A825 (it is a cable, but the description calls it an actuator). the list price on the Ford parts site is $38.05
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:05   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird100636 View Post
The cruise cable popping off the way yours does will not cause the accelerator pedal to stick.
Thank you for your response.

I don't mean to be argumentative, as I am not a mechanic. I can only speak from experience and from the multiple web sites and forums (including this one) that discuss this problem.

Every single time that my wife's Taurus accelerates on it's own, I find that the cruise control cable has becomes disconnected. Once the cable is reattached, the problem goes away. My wife came home yesterday and said "I think the cable came off again". I checked and it was indeed hanging loose. I drove the car and it accelerated on it's own. I reattached the cable and the problem went away.

If you DAGS related to this problem, you will find many sites that describe the exact same problem. Many of the complaints at this site mention the cruise control cable either being disconnected from the post (like mine) or the cruise control bracket being broken, causing the vehicle to accelerate on it's own.

Ford Taurus Vehicle Speed Control - 2005 FORD TAURUS Problems With Vehicle Speed Control

Here's a video with the words:

"Checking the cruise control linkage on a Ford Taurus/Mercury
An important thing to look at, to prevent the risk of a stuck throttle"

As I mentioned in a previous post, I have found posts and pictures where a zip tie was used to eliminate the problem. I didn't see any followup posts that said it caused other issues, but that doesn't mean it won't.

What type of "binding" are you referring to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007