05 Taurus front wheel bearings/hubs - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 12:15   #1 (permalink)

05 Taurus front wheel bearings/hubs

Hi,
I need to replace these. I have a Haynes manual and looks like I can do it myself. Anyone know what size sockets or wrenches I will need and any other tips?? Thanks, Doug
doug rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2009, 21:41   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: 05 Taurus front wheel bearings/hubs

The hardest part is going to be swinging the lower control arm down far enough to clear the ball joint stud shaft. Where the front of the control arm is mounted through the frame hole, will hit. I was able to remove the rear control arm bolt and swing it around just enough to clear the joint.

Another thing, the ball joint is mounted in the knuckle, not the control arm. You can't use a fork to knock it out because you can damage the arm. I found a pitman arm puller works well to remove the joint.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:41   #3 (permalink)

Thanks JW. Sounds like more of a hassle than I thought but will give it a go. Don't have a Pittman arm puller so maybe it's time to get one. Also sounds like an expensive repair if I take it somewhere. Do you know the size of the hub nut socket?
I plan on keeping the car about another year and have seen the hubs on Ebay for $95 a pair shipped. Your thoughts on that?? Thanks, Doug
Old 09-10-2009, 15:02   #4 (permalink)

$95.00 a pair sounds Like " white box " parts. They are garrantied for 1 year and some
time they actually last one year. Sometime. Do you want to change hubs every year ?
Find out who makes these hubs.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 16:20   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipset View Post
$95.00 a pair sounds Like " white box " parts. They are garrantied for 1 year and some
time they actually last one year. Sometime. Do you want to change hubs every year ?
Find out who makes these hubs.
I agree with chip's statement.

Don't remember for sure the nut size, 30mm maybe?

You can get TIMKEN bearing assembly's from Auto Parts Fast at RockAuto for 53 bucks each side. If you will look in our vendor section RockAuto Discount Code they have a discount code (5% off ) and shipping is cheap.

jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 22:01   #6 (permalink)

32mm Jwko...

Go to Advance auto, AutoZone, and rent the Set of Sockets for that size.
Old 09-11-2009, 13:51   #7 (permalink)

Thanks guys, very helpful. I'm sure the ebay ones are the cheapest of the cheap out of China so will go with Rock Auto. No.....Don't want to be changing them each year and frankly, if I do get rid of the car beforehand, not really the right thing to do to the new owner. We gotta bring back some honor in this country. Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007