07 Taurus stalling issue, maybe electrical? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 13:47   #1 (permalink)

07 Taurus stalling issue, maybe electrical?

I have an 07 Taurus SEL and it's having a stalling issue. It doesn't do it all the time. I notice it mostly after a rain or in the mornings when it's been wet and when it does it, it's when the Taurus is idling or I'm moving very slowly (ie slowing down at a stop light, driving around a parking lot, etc). I'll be going along or idling and all of a sudden everything turns off. There's no noise or shaking or anything. The engine shuts off and the electrical (radio, dash lights) goes off and comes back on. If I pop it into neutral and crank it, it comes right back to life as if I were starting it from park like normal. I'm not sure quite where to start on this. I'm capable of most repairs as long as I have some direction, so I'm hoping to find that here. Thanks in advance for all advice.
Sting7785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2013, 15:04   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 07 Taurus stalling issue, maybe electrical?

Hard to say but you could try wiggling connections with it running to see if you can make it quit. Also, Autozone will check codes for free. There may be one stored.
Old 08-25-2013, 18:11   #3 (permalink)

Would there be a code for it if the check engine light hasn't come on through any of this?
Old 08-25-2013, 20:07   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

There can be a code without the light.
Old 08-25-2013, 20:54   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Just did a search and found numerous complaints from users with similar problems such as yours on several year models of Taurus'. Out of the dozens of articles I only found 2 people bothered to report a fix, replacing the alternator due to a bad diode randomly shorting out the electrical system One recommended buying a new alternator over a rebuilt as they went through several from Autozone until finally buying a new Motorcraft from Napa with no problems since.

This may or may not be your problem. Just wanted to pass along this info.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 21:35   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
Just did a search and found numerous complaints from users with similar problems such as yours on several year models of Taurus'. Out of the dozens of articles I only found 2 people bothered to report a fix, replacing the alternator due to a bad diode randomly shorting out the electrical system One recommended buying a new alternator over a rebuilt as they went through several from Autozone until finally buying a new Motorcraft from Napa with no problems since.

This may or may not be your problem. Just wanted to pass along this info.
Thank you. Oddly enough I seem to be having alternator problems with my Jeep, but that's a post for another forum.

My wife took it by Autozone while I was at work and they tested the battery twice and it was coming up fully charged, but they were saying the battery was bad. I went by later and it was testing fine apparently. It was still under warranty, so I got them to replace the battery for free. If nothing else, that should eliminate a possibility.

I don't know why it would potentially be a battery issue according to them though. It cranks fine, both from a cold crank and after a stall. It was a free replacement since the battery is less than 2 years old, so I wasn't going to argue with that.

I have heard the term "alternator whine" before and have read that it can be heard through the radio. I am hearing a high pitched whining noise when the radio is on. Not sure what the whine would be an indicator of and whether or not it's a bad thing.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:16   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Did they check for possible codes?
Old 08-28-2013, 10:26   #8 (permalink)

No, their machine was down at the time. >< I've driven it last night and today with the fresh battery and it hasn't stalled once. i have no idea why the battery would be the issue though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007