1986 Taurus - car dies and doesn't start immediately - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2009, 19:51   #1 (permalink)

1986 Taurus - car dies and doesn't start immediately

So my friend has a taurus, and it has an issue of stalling and then the car won't fire up immediately. You usually have to wait a few minutes before it will fire up again. My guess is that it is the main relay, but I have no idea about Fords. If it is the main relay, where could i find the location?

Anyone have suggestions of what it can be? Thanks.
ja23merz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2009, 07:42   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1986 Taurus - car dies and doesn't start immediately

There is no such thing as a main relay. That car has many main relays. Is the engine hot
when it dies ? Does the engine miss or loop at times ? Does it set a code ? Without
proper diagnoses and testing it could be anything. Those cars are bad for spark moduals.
You are describing that problem. When was the fuel filter changed ? Does the pump still
run after it stalls ? You can not guess at this. It has to be properly tested.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:10   #3 (permalink)

According to my friend, the problem only occurs when the engine is hot. I, myself, do not know anything else. It seems like it happens when the car is warmed up and you're trying to accelerate from a stop. I will be changing the fuel filter and cleaning up the fuel system. As far as I know, there is no CEL. Is there any way to diagnose a bad spark modulus?

Sorry I can't give any more details, as I have not experience the car stalling first hand. However, your suggestion will help greatly.
ja23merz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:38   #4 (permalink)

A spark modual can be tested but it is usually out of the realm of the DIYer. The best
way is to replace it with a known good one. A bad T.P.S. will do what you describe.
Have your friend pull the codes and see if you get code eleven.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007