1988 Taurus stalls and won't restart - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2007, 09:38   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation 1988 Taurus stalls and won't restart

I have a 1988 Taurus 4 cylinder fuel injected. The engine check light would sometimes come on - and stay on - when I started the car. When this happened it idled fast (fast enough to pull the car around at 15-20 miles per hr) and when I stepped on the gas it stalled. When I restarted the car it would start normally and the check engine light would not remain on. This happened once or twice a week. I took it to a mechanic to get this resolved and had a major tuneup including new plugs and wires, three step fuel injector cleaning, and all filters replaced. After the tuneup the car started stalling at idle. At first it would start right up but it progressively got worse and would sometimes take several minutes to restart. I just replaced the ignition module and for a couple of days it didn't stall. Then it stalled at red lights a couple of times - but started right up. This morning it quit while I was making a turn and would not restart for several minutes (cranked fine). Sometimes at speed it feels like it isn't getting gas. I had hoped the new ignition module would do the trick but it didn't. Any ideas? I'm not up for new car payments at the moment and would really like to get this resolved. BTW the tuneup did not fix the check engine light weirdness but it hasn't happened for several weeks.
dhrodefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2007, 10:57   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1988 Taurus stalls and won't restart

I would have your mechanic check the fuel pressure. Could be a fuel pump on its way out.

'99 Crown Vic Police Interceptor
-Completed full PI swap
-Marauder Airbox & 80mm MAF
-'04 CVPI Ziptube
-ADTR ported plenum
-Steeda Intake Spacer
-BOC tune
-J-Mod tranny
dryelf327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 20:22   #3 (permalink)

Re: 1988 Taurus stalls and won't restart

My 1993 Sable stalled so many times that we finally got rid of it in 2006. The dealer sold it for parts because it was not safe to drive any more.
bluemountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007