1992 3.0L Taurus (non-SHO) Problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2003, 11:02   #1 (permalink)
micaheli

Question 1992 3.0L Taurus (non-SHO) Problems

Well, here goes.. I got this car as a temporary car until I can find something better, and I actually like it. Here are the problems that I need to fix.

1. Wobbly brake rotors.. I have done this before on a Crown Vic, I'd imagine its quite the same.

2. Power steering pump is LOUD. Going to run some conditioning stuff through it and flush it. Any more suggestions?

3. Radiator has a small leak somewhere... I can't tell where exactly it is.. but I will start by replacing the hoses. If it is the actual radiator would you waste your time with the radiator sealers? They have worked for me before, but I'd rather get a 2nd opinion. I'll flush it several times of course.

4. The power door locks in the back seat do not function.. The motors just make a loud noise as if they are slipping. I have some experience here and will probably just rip it apart and see whats going on. Anybody know where to find an electrical diagram for this car online?

4. The drivers switch for the rear windows does not function. I can, however control the passenger window.

5. The engine stutters and bogs down (hesitation) at stoplights/signs sometimes. I would imagine cleaning/replacing the ignition stuff (cap, rotor, wires, plugs, etc) would remedy that.. I will probably try replacing the plugs and doing the timing first. Any ideas?

Other than those things, the car is great.. Runs very well.. transmission shifts great. Has around 144k on it. Is there any other recommended tune-ups that you would do to a recently purchased car in need of TLC?

Thanks,
--Micah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2003, 11:52   #2 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Re: 1992 3.0L Taurus (non-SHO) Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by micaheli
Well, here goes.. I got this car as a temporary car until I can find something better, and I actually like it. Here are the problems that I need to fix.

1. Wobbly brake rotors.. I have done this before on a Crown Vic, I'd imagine its quite the same.
SHould be the same and shoul dnot have issues with it i fyou have done it before.

Quote:
2. Power steering pump is LOUD. Going to run some conditioning stuff through it and flush it. Any more suggestions?
The "whine" noise comes from hydraulic fluid bypassing from the high pressure side back to the low pressure side thru scratches in the valve plate caused by wear particles. The "low fluid howl" is caused by air cavitation and is producing thousands of wear particles every minute which go on to erode the rest of the system.

If it is not really Loud I wouldn't worry about it. If you feel a heavy vibration when steering accompanied by the loud whine then it is definately bad and should be replaced. If it is just a slight whine it is most likely just something you'll have to tolerate.

If you decide to flush it and replace fluids I would put in an inline filter. You can get a filter kit from Ford that has some fittings hose and clamps for installing on a tranny. Your parts house has the filter alone but you will need a couple of clamps to insert it in the return line. Here are some part numbers.

WIX TRANSMISSION / POWER STEERING FILTER
#51964 OLD NUMBER 1999
#58964 NEW NUMBER 2001
DESCRIPTION: 200 PSI WORKING, PRESSURE RELIEVED, MAGNETIC,
CHANGE YEARLY OR 12000 MILES

FORD EQUIVALENT FILTER KIT #XC3Z-7B155-AA
FORD FILTER ALONE #XC3P-7B155-BA

Quote:
3. Radiator has a small leak somewhere... I can't tell where exactly it is.. but I will start by replacing the hoses. If it is the actual radiator would you waste your time with the radiator sealers? They have worked for me before, but I'd rather get a 2nd opinion. I'll flush it several times of course.
Some things you will want to check if you have coolant on the ground.

Damaged hoses or hose clips, Radiator core leaking, Pressure cap faulty, water pump seals leaking, Core plug leaking, Cylinder head gasket leak, Cracked cylinder head or cylinder block.

I have never used any leak stop products. I usually just replaced the radiator core and tubes. It may cost a little more in the begining, but i have found that throwing parts over and over as well as quick fixes are more expensive in the long run.

Quote:
4. The power door locks in the back seat do not function.. The motors just make a loud noise as if they are slipping. I have some experience here and will probably just rip it apart and see whats going on. Anybody know where to find an electrical diagram for this car online?
Sorry dont have any sources of diagrams on the net that I know of. If you run across any please post them here.

Quote:
4. The drivers switch for the rear windows does not function. I can, however control the passenger window.
Replace the switch. They are known to go out and have shorts.

Quote:
5. The engine stutters and bogs down (hesitation) at stoplights/signs sometimes. I would imagine cleaning/replacing the ignition stuff (cap, rotor, wires, plugs, etc) would remedy that.. I will probably try replacing the plugs and doing the timing first. Any ideas?
Replace the plugs/wires. Clean as you have said. I would also run some injector cleaner through the system as well. I would gather that you probably have some gunk in the injectors. Another thing to look at is the fuel filter and pump. But I would just do the filter first out of those two. Cheaper and easier to replace.

Quote:
Other than those things, the car is great.. Runs very well.. transmission shifts great. Has around 144k on it. Is there any other recommended tune-ups that you would do to a recently purchased car in need of TLC?

Thanks,
--Micah
I would replace these on any high mileage car.

Plugs(30k), Air Filter(20k), PCV Breather Filter(30k), Fuel Filter(30k), Automatic Transmission Filter(15k), Plugs(100k), Distributor Cap & Rotor( if there is excessive wear, but have been known to degrade over time and higher mileage cars), Vacuum hoses and the assorted temp sensors throughout the engine.

Hope that this is of some help.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 18:45   #3 (permalink)

that noise from the back locks is the units spinning freely ... the plastic clips that hold on to the actuators are broken ...... its a B*tch of a job to replace them ....

check the idle solenoid valve ( may be sticking ) and check the Alt voltage at the same time ( low voltage = wrong postion for the valve) at idle the output may be low and the voltage may be dropping ...

the leak may be from the block heater (if installed) on the backside of the motor (between it and the tranny )
JOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 00:09   #4 (permalink)
Ford Member

buy a chevy! Just kidding

97 taurus
78 f150
fordeverpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007