1993 Ford Taurus "GL from Hell" (HELP) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2006, 22:43   #1 (permalink)

1993 Ford Taurus "GL from Hell" (HELP)

Whats up guys? Here the low on my car. Hell I'm just trying to sell it, but I can't sell it like it is.

I got the car with a BHG and fixed it, no problems. Ran great for a few weeks, but check engine light was still on.

The car started doing this thing where it would hesitate, then the check engine light will actually turn itself off, then on, then off again, and by the time that little cycle is complete it will choke and puke if I try to give it gas. Even if I try to park it and let it idle, itll eventually die out. Thats if I even make it to a parking lot without dying on the road. Once its dead, it wont start up for a few hours. If I let it sit long enough, it'll go back to running fine on short trips (2 miles or less).

When the car does run, it gets bad gas mileage and smells like its running real rich. Also, the check engine light doesnt turn off. I've only replaced a few things, since I dont want to dump a whole lot of money guessing whats wrong.

I did do the cap, plugs, plug wires, alternator and battery to eliminate the charging/spark system. Timing is right on (+10º TDC). I did the fuel and air filters. I also replaced that damn TFI which looked like it was going anyways.

Is this a common problem? The weather conditions vary, but I live in chicago so this has mostly happened in fall/winter temperatures and weather.

God I hope this isnt one of those posts where theres a million duplicates, but I need to get this bad boy running and this damn check engine light off. ODB1 sucks.

Thanks in advance all.
Jeff1784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2006, 09:26   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: 1993 Ford Taurus "GL from Hell" (HELP)

On Pre-1996 Taurus/Sable a Flashing Check Engine Light is an indicator of a bad O2 Sensor. This can make the engine run rough like you say yours does. Beware!!! Your car may have 2 O2 sensors. (2 upstreams, no downstreams on pre-1996 vehicles) Good Luck!!!
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 10:28   #3 (permalink)
Unregistered

Re: 1993 Ford Taurus "GL from Hell" (HELP)

I figured my o2s were bad, but would that even fix the stalling and the no-start condition? Could it be so bad that my computer just shuts itself off?
Old 01-24-2006, 10:48   #4 (permalink)

Would this counter my stalling and no-start condition though? I figured that was what was causing my richness, but unless its pissing my computer off enough to where it shuts down, it cant be that simple can it?
Old 01-24-2006, 15:21   #5 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: 1993 Ford Taurus "GL from Hell" (HELP)

It can be that simple. Try it.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:45   #6 (permalink)

Well, its not running rich anymore...and it doesnt start that hard if I do a turn off/turn on. How long is my check engine light gonna be on?
Old 01-26-2006, 14:41   #7 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Question Re: 1993 Ford Taurus "GL from Hell" (HELP)

You didn't say if you replaced the O2 sensors yet-the light will stay on until the problem is fixed.
Old 01-26-2006, 16:52   #8 (permalink)

Ok well I replaced them. No dice, light still on.
Old 01-28-2006, 19:33   #9 (permalink)

Anyone else that can help me?
Old 02-16-2006, 03:53   #10 (permalink)
Unregistered

I have a 1993 Taurus and it started to Stall

The CHECK ENGINE light has been om for years .
The ERG Plastic 3 terminal sensor burnt out and was replaced 75$.
It still stalls.
What shall i try next.
Please

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007