1993 Taurus Climate Selector - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2009, 07:58   #1 (permalink)

frown 1993 Taurus Climate Selector

Problem: Heater is blowing cold air. When I turn the climate selector, nothing is moving. It just turns. When I turn the mode selector from off to vent, to defrost, to floor and mix, I hear and can see all the arms on the levelers moving. Could the knob be going bad? Also, can I remove the radio to get to any of this stuff and move the blend door by hand? Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EDDIE138301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2009, 16:59   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Question Re: 1993 Taurus Climate Selector

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDIE138301 View Post
Problem: Heater is blowing cold air. When I turn the climate selector, nothing is moving. It just turns. When I turn the mode selector from off to vent, to defrost, to floor and mix, I hear and can see all the arms on the levelers moving. Could the knob be going bad? Also, can I remove the radio to get to any of this stuff and move the blend door by hand? Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1993 Ford had already gone to an electronic actuator for the temperature blend door. No cable. Before you go digging into the dash, you need to check some things under hood. Is the coolant full in the radiator and up to the full cold or full hot line??? Is the coolant clean or brown and full of scale and rust??? Are both of the heater hoses going into the heater core hot or one hot and one slightly cooler, but still hot??? What is the temperature gauge doing, is it staying in the cold range for an excessive amount of time??? As far as accessing the actuator, removing the radio and coin/cup holders (or CD player on high series) may help. Partially remove the A/C controls (the bezel surrounding the cluster and A/C controls has to come off first) to possibly get a better look. The electronic blend door actuators are still a common issue to this day. But check out under the hood first.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 19:42   #3 (permalink)

Re: 1993 Taurus Climate Selector

both heater hoses are hot. Water in raditator green. Temp. gauage is moving within the limits. When I move the climate knob from left to right I do not hear anything moving. Could it be the knob itself. Does it have a elect. surge going from it to the box or is it vaccumed control? I flushed the heater core, water going through it good. I do not use the air cond anymore. If I can just get it open enough to get heat, I would be happy. It is my daughter's car that she drives to college. She needs some heat. Thanks for any info.
Old 10-20-2009, 22:58   #4 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: 1993 Taurus Climate Selector

Quote:
both heater hoses are hot. Water in raditator green. Temp. gauage is moving within the limits. When I move the climate knob from left to right I do not hear anything moving. Could it be the knob itself. Does it have a elect. surge going from it to the box or is it vaccumed control? I flushed the heater core, water going through it good. I do not use the air cond anymore. If I can just get it open enough to get heat, I would be happy. It is my daughter's car that she drives to college. She needs some heat. Thanks for any info.
Let me repeat this. It is an electronic actuator (motor) on top of the box. Earlier models had a cable. The actuator is a common failure, not the knob. They've used the same actuator on several Ford models for years.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:31   #5 (permalink)

Re: 1993 Taurus Climate Selector

Can I get to this electronic actuator (motor) by taking the radio and the coin holder out? Do you know where I can find a diagram of any of this? I have been on the internet trying to find one, but cannot. Would autozone have a diagram of this? Thanks for the info.
Old 10-25-2009, 21:15   #6 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: 1993 Taurus Climate Selector

Quote:
Can I get to this electronic actuator (motor) by taking the radio and the coin holder out? Do you know where I can find a diagram of any of this? I have been on the internet trying to find one, but cannot. Would autozone have a diagram of this? Thanks for the info.
I'll re-type this I guess.

As far as accessing the actuator, removing the radio and coin/cup holders (or CD player on high series) may help. Partially remove the A/C controls (the bezel surrounding the cluster and A/C controls has to come off first) to possibly get a better look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007