1993 Taurus GL A/C - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 12:44   #1 (permalink)
yol

1993 Taurus GL A/C

Talk about murphey's law....

after approx a year that i have a chronicle oil leak from the power steering which obviously got on the ac compressor, a week ago i got this leak fixed and today a couple of minutes after i started the car and turn on the ac, i heard (and then smelled a bit) that something was wrong - popped the hood and saw that the compressors clutch is slipping - so i immediately i turned off the ac.
question is now - if i remove the belt and flud and wash the compressor with carb cleaner (especially the pulley and clutch area) - will it fix it ?
another question - is it possible to replace the clutched ac pulley alone while the compressor is installed so no re-vacum/gas procedure needed ?

thanks !!
yol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2013, 17:21   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 1993 Taurus GL A/C

A/c Making Grinding Noise - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Old 07-13-2013, 00:47   #3 (permalink)
yol

well, i did like i wrote - remove belt and washed the compressor pulley and clutch (as much as i could without removing the steering pump or anything) - while the engine/compressor was cold the ac worked ok as well as the pulley clutch. but then after several minutes of work the pulley started sliding again.

is it possible that the clutches gap changed ?

by the way, does the original ac system hold the R12 or the R134A gas ?

anyway, i think i will have no other choice but to go to the ac guy and have him stab me his fees....
Old 07-13-2013, 16:00   #4 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Probably R12, 1994 was pretty much the first year for 134A in automotive. The gap may have changed through wear.
Old 07-14-2013, 00:46   #5 (permalink)
yol

Update:

Went to the ac guy today. There was gas missing in the system. He added a bit and it is working now.problem is that the comoressor is still doing a noise, althou it is moderate...
Lets see how long it holds...
The system has R134A gas - the differemce fro R12 is only the nipples?
What is the lifespan of a new original compressor?
The current compressor and dryer have less than 10,000miles
Of which half at tops are with ac on...

Thabks!
Old 07-14-2013, 04:56   #6 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

The compressor should be making a certain amount of noise, but unless you have a really quiet engine, you shouldn't be able to hear it over the engine without some sort of assistance. Could be a bearing or a seal going on the compressor if you're hearing it over engine noise. Compressors should be lasting much longer than that, my Pontiac's got over 100K on it and going strong. If you're eating a quality compressor that quick, you need to look at your idlers and pulley alignment. particularly with which ever precedes the compressor on the drive belt.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:35   #7 (permalink)
yol

Thanks Bert/CatSkinner

i forgot to mention - the current compressor was installed approx. 3 years ago (in which i did these ~10,000 miles) - does aging a factor regardless of milage ?

can anyone recommend a good a link for buying an original compressor and dryer that i can count on ?

thanks!
Old 07-14-2013, 08:36   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

You could try Rockaut, one of our vendors. Usually factory parts are the best but cost more. They have great deals and in their forum, they have a discount code. My 2002 F150 just had it's original compressor noises at 251,000 miles.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:07   #9 (permalink)
yol

Thanks Bert,

i think ill order the compressor and dryer from them.
i saw they have DENSO compressors.
however, there are two types :
1. Part # 4718129 8mm Mounting Holes; OE recommended replacement part.
2. Part # 4718103 10mm Mounting Holes; OE recommended replacement part.

how do i know which one i need ?

regarding the dryer - there is Denso or Motorcraft (both for R134A) the latter is twice the price of the first - which one should i take ?

should i also get a new expansion valve? what about a pancake filter ? (these are the additional things i saw at their site as additional recommendation but im not sure if my ac system has them...)

any recommendation for any additional part would be appreciated...
thanks again...
Old 07-14-2013, 15:41   #10 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Unless air was introduced or you had an actual failure, there shouldn't be a need for a filter and expansion valves generally don't have a problem with the valve itself, just the regulating head. As far as the drier, Denso should suffice.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007