1993 Taurus GL A/C problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2010, 13:28   #1 (permalink)
yol

1993 Taurus GL A/C problem

Hi all,

a couple of years ago i took my car to an A/C guy that replaced the compressor as the old one had a worn clutch. i did notice after he fixed it that he added a relay that activates the main radiator fan when the a/c is turned on. until today it worked ok. now it seems the relay is bad as it keep the fan working always. i disconnected it to avoid dead battery.
my question is - why is this relay needed ? dont the car "know"to operate the fan more often when i turn on the a/c ? or keep it working at minimum speed as long as the a/ is on ?

Thanks for any help !!
yol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2010, 18:20   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Question Re: 1993 Taurus GL A/C problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by yol View Post
Hi all,

a couple of years ago i took my car to an A/C guy that replaced the compressor as the old one had a worn clutch. i did notice after he fixed it that he added a relay that activates the main radiator fan when the a/c is turned on. until today it worked ok. now it seems the relay is bad as it keep the fan working always. i disconnected it to avoid dead battery.
my question is - why is this relay needed ? dont the car "know"to operate the fan more often when i turn on the a/c ? or keep it working at minimum speed as long as the a/ is on ?

Thanks for any help !!
Could you be more specific, he added relay or did he replace the CCRM (Constant Control Relay Module) under the warning label shield??? The PCM uses the CCRM to control the radiator fan, the A/C clutch, the fuel pump and power to the PCM.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 19:35   #3 (permalink)
yol

Re: 1993 Taurus GL A/C problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird100636 View Post
Could you be more specific, he added relay or did he replace the CCRM (Constant Control Relay Module) under the warning label shield??? The PCM uses the CCRM to control the radiator fan, the A/C clutch, the fuel pump and power to the PCM.
Hi tbird, he put the relay in a way it bypasses the CCRM and activates the radiator fan. the relay's coil has a permanent grund and the activation comes from the compressor's clutch, the relay's common pole is connected to the wire that comes out of the CCRM and goes to the fan while the other pole of the relay has constant +12v .
i thought the CCRM or maybe the PCM had to know somehow that i turn on the a/c and then through the CCRM activate the fan as needed.
maybe the CCRM is either not getting the a/c on signal or its defective which makes the relay bypass a good idea.
if i disable the relay, the a/c will not cool although the compressor works.

thanks and merry xmas !!
Old 12-25-2010, 12:51   #4 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: 1993 Taurus GL A/C problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by yol View Post
Hi tbird, he put the relay in a way it bypasses the CCRM and activates the radiator fan. the relay's coil has a permanent grund and the activation comes from the compressor's clutch, the relay's common pole is connected to the wire that comes out of the CCRM and goes to the fan while the other pole of the relay has constant +12v .
i thought the CCRM or maybe the PCM had to know somehow that i turn on the a/c and then through the CCRM activate the fan as needed.
maybe the CCRM is either not getting the a/c on signal or its defective which makes the relay bypass a good idea.
if i disable the relay, the a/c will not cool although the compressor works.

thanks and merry xmas !!
The way it's supposed to work is you turn the A/C on and power from the control head goes to the A/C cycling switch and the PCM. The PCM then grounds the low speed fan relay coil in the CCRM to turn on the low speed fan. The fan stays on up to 45 MPH, when at that speed there's enough airflow that it's not needed, and the fan is shut off. When there is insufficient airflow through the condensor, when the radiator fan doesn't work, the A/C will not get cold. I have no idea why the guy would redneck a setup if there was a problem.

I'd remove the hack work, wire it back correctly and then see what happens. If it still doesn't work see what codes set in the PCM. Also disconnect the CCRM connector and check the pins for corrosion. Check the 60 Amp fuse in the fuse box behind the left strut tower too. Here's the diagram of the radiator fan itself.

tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 13:12   #5 (permalink)
yol

Re: 1993 Taurus GL A/C problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird100636 View Post
The way it's supposed to work is you turn the A/C on and power from the control head goes to the A/C cycling switch and the PCM. The PCM then grounds the low speed fan relay coil in the CCRM to turn on the low speed fan. The fan stays on up to 45 MPH, when at that speed there's enough airflow that it's not needed, and the fan is shut off. When there is insufficient airflow through the condensor, when the radiator fan doesn't work, the A/C will not get cold. I have no idea why the guy would redneck a setup if there was a problem.

I'd remove the hack work, wire it back correctly and then see what happens. If it still doesn't work see what codes set in the PCM. Also disconnect the CCRM connector and check the pins for corrosion. Check the 60 Amp fuse in the fuse box behind the left strut tower too. Here's the diagram of the radiator fan itself.

ok, thanks for the schematics and advise, will check and post back...i still have to get/make myself the code blinker/display gauge...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007