1993 Taurus Wont Start.....beeps 5 Times..... Help! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2010, 13:41   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3
1993 Taurus Wont Start.....beeps 5 Times..... Help!

Im having a hell of a time getting my taurus back on the road.... its a 3.8l with 93,000 miles on it. it was working fine up until a few days ago and the air bag light started blinking 4 times then a pause....then once..... then 4 again...then repeat. but it still ran and drove fine so i figured this weekend i would look into it


Fast forward to today we went to get some food and came back out....and it wont start... it tries to, but i cant hear the fuel pump priming. there also is not any spark....none of the warning lights come on and all i hear is 5 beeps then a pause...... 5 beeps then a pause......5 beeps then a pause......then after the 5th round of 5 beeps it stops.....but still it wont start (guessing because no spark and no fuel lol)



What would cause the car to beep 5 times? now the airbag light dosent come on at all when i try to start.... is the brain fried or something? this is our daily driver and we have 3 kids.....its allways 1 step forward 2 steps back

Well, everything else works.... the power windows work when i turn the switch to "on"..... the blinkers still work and the engine tries to start when turned all the way.... but for whatever reason its not shoing any lights in the cluster and i hear 5 beeps from the passenger side dash....


This is killing me i cant find ANY answer on the web......and ford wont tell me anything without actually seeing the car ....

Im a decent mechanic and im good at trouble shooting but this has me stumped.....every fuse in the car is good ive checked each one under the hood and under the dash like good ol saint nick lol


What gets me..... i usually when you turn the key to "on" without starting.......the check engine and low oil light come on untill i start it, but now im not getting any gauge cluster warnings at all......just 5 beeps from the dash. it tries to start but im not getting spark or fuel....

Is it in any way possible that an SRS failure could caue the vehicle to not give any signal to the ECM? the fuel pump does not prime nor am i getting spark at the plugs.

i dont know if this will help.....but we just bought the car a week ago.


The radiator fan is hard wired into a red/green wire by the harness plug at the driver side of the engine bay. Its wired in a way that when i turn the key to "on" the fuel pump used to prime and the rad fan would spin.......what wire does this control? could the previous owner running a 30 amp fuse to the fan off of that wire caused a problem somewhere? there is no melting or anything. and now when i turn the key on i dont hear the fan or the pump prime....

so im assuming the red/green wire is a switched 12v wire? but why is it not working now?
mustangman70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-01-2010, 16:04   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator
 
tbird100636's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Age: 32
Posts: 1,826
Exclamation Re: 1993 Taurus Wont Start.....beeps 5 Times..... Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman70 View Post
Im having a hell of a time getting my taurus back on the road.... its a 3.8l with 93,000 miles on it. it was working fine up until a few days ago and the air bag light started blinking 4 times then a pause....then once..... then 4 again...then repeat. but it still ran and drove fine so i figured this weekend i would look into it


Fast forward to today we went to get some food and came back out....and it wont start... it tries to, but i cant hear the fuel pump priming. there also is not any spark....none of the warning lights come on and all i hear is 5 beeps then a pause...... 5 beeps then a pause......5 beeps then a pause......then after the 5th round of 5 beeps it stops.....but still it wont start (guessing because no spark and no fuel lol)



What would cause the car to beep 5 times? now the airbag light dosent come on at all when i try to start.... is the brain fried or something? this is our daily driver and we have 3 kids.....its allways 1 step forward 2 steps back

Well, everything else works.... the power windows work when i turn the switch to "on"..... the blinkers still work and the engine tries to start when turned all the way.... but for whatever reason its not shoing any lights in the cluster and i hear 5 beeps from the passenger side dash....


This is killing me i cant find ANY answer on the web......and ford wont tell me anything without actually seeing the car ....

Im a decent mechanic and im good at trouble shooting but this has me stumped.....every fuse in the car is good ive checked each one under the hood and under the dash like good ol saint nick lol


What gets me..... i usually when you turn the key to "on" without starting.......the check engine and low oil light come on untill i start it, but now im not getting any gauge cluster warnings at all......just 5 beeps from the dash. it tries to start but im not getting spark or fuel....

Is it in any way possible that an SRS failure could caue the vehicle to not give any signal to the ECM? the fuel pump does not prime nor am i getting spark at the plugs.

i dont know if this will help.....but we just bought the car a week ago.


The radiator fan is hard wired into a red/green wire by the harness plug at the driver side of the engine bay. Its wired in a way that when i turn the key to "on" the fuel pump used to prime and the rad fan would spin.......what wire does this control? could the previous owner running a 30 amp fuse to the fan off of that wire caused a problem somewhere? there is no melting or anything. and now when i turn the key on i dont hear the fan or the pump prime....

so im assuming the red/green wire is a switched 12v wire? but why is it not working now?
Damn that's a mouthfull!!! OK, code 44 was Center Cowl Primary Crash Sensor Mounted Incorrectly. If the Crash sensor on the cowl is loose, or has corrosion on it's mounting point will cause this code. With the battery disconnected, unbolt the sensor, scrub the cowl with a wire brush, and the crash sensor mounting bracket. Reinstall the sensor.

However, you have the airbag diagnostic monitor now beeping 5 times:
If a system fault exists and the Air Bag Indicator is malfunctioning, an audible tone will be heard indicating the need for service. The tone is a series of five sets of five beeps. This DOES NOT indicate a diagnostic trouble code 55. It means that the indicator is out and a system fault exists that requires service.



Inoperative Lamp Circuit or No Ignition Voltage to Diagnostic Monitor

Normal Operation
The air bag indicator is designed to light for 6 (±2) seconds when the ignition key is turned to the ON position. This initial 6 seconds of air bag indicator illumination (continuous lamp) is considered normal operation and is called "prove-out" of the air bag indicator.

The diagnostic monitor requires power at Pin 1 in order to energize the air bag indicator circuit. If the air bag indicator circuit is open or if the diagnostic monitor does not have ignition voltage at Pin 1, then the air bag indicator will not light.

Possible Causes
A No Air Bag Indicator condition can be caused by:


A burned out bulb or open wiring in the air bag indicator circuit.
Loss of ignition voltage at Pin 1 of the diagnostic monitor.

So... you may have an ignition switch issue causing a loss of key on power to the airbag diagnostic monitor.

Now, the no start issue. The last owner must have jury-rigged the vehicle to run because of a bad Constant Control Relay Module/Intergrated Relay Control Module (CCRM/ICRM), which combines the PCM power relay, the radiator fan relays, and the fuel pump relay. The CCRM is a common issue, there also can be corrosion in the CCRM connector. Take a picture and post it on here to show where the Red/Green wire is. The CCRM is under the warning label shield, next to the front crash sensor. Make sure the ground wires on the radiator support are tight too.
__________________
Master ASE Certified L1 Chrysler Technician- still a Ford fan at heart.
1964 Thunderbird Hardtop- Chantily Beige- 390 FE 4V V8-Uncle's Car
1966 Thunderbird Convertible- Red- 390 FE 4V V8- Uncle's other car- waiting for paint and body work!!!
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 16:27   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Sterling_Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 1,135
Re: 1993 Taurus Wont Start.....beeps 5 Times..... Help!

LOL ... Wow "T" now that is really a mouth full.

Should he just Replace the Ignition Switch to bypass that fault??
__________________
Good Luck and good repairing Sterling_6
"You know, just like in that Book, When Jesus beats up Moses to get Religion!!"
Sterling_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 16:37   #4 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator
 
tbird100636's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Age: 32
Posts: 1,826
Exclamation Re: 1993 Taurus Wont Start.....beeps 5 Times..... Help!

Here's a couple diagrams of what Fuse 5 feeds other than the Airbag Diagnostic Monitor:





...and what feeds this fuse... the Ignition switch:



__________________
Master ASE Certified L1 Chrysler Technician- still a Ford fan at heart.
1964 Thunderbird Hardtop- Chantily Beige- 390 FE 4V V8-Uncle's Car
1966 Thunderbird Convertible- Red- 390 FE 4V V8- Uncle's other car- waiting for paint and body work!!!
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 16:01   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3
Re: 1993 Taurus Wont Start.....beeps 5 Times..... Help!

OK so i kinda have an update..... i was able to get the car to run..... but the ONLY way it starts is if i jump a wire straight from the battery to the red/ light green wire to the harness on the driver side of the engine bay....the one with the big grey plug next to the shock tower....

This is the same wire the previous owner spliced into to power the fan.....so imagine if you will....with the key not even in the car.....i jump a wire from the battery to this red/green wire in the harness.....then i hear the CCRM relays clicking.... and the fuel pump primes.... then when i get into the car the dummy lights are on... as if i have the key turned to on..... yet the key isnt even in yet....and now the car starts and runs like normal when i turn the key.....but it stays running untill i disconnect that wire

But if i take the wire off of the battery, and i turn the key to "on" and try to start it..... all i get is 5 beeps and no dummy lights at all, no CCRM activity and no fuel pump prime....

At first i thought maybe the ignition switch went bad.... but SOMETHING is happening when i turn the key to on.... i get 5 beeps and every other thing in the car works... lights/power windows, ac blower motor etc..... i have checked all the fuses under the steering wheel and under the hood.... is there another location im missing? What would cause this red/green wire to not get current?........ im so confused and i cant take the car to ford....ive been seeing some posts about a fusable link on this circuit? Can anyone tell me where this "fusable link" could be?
mustangman70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 20:50   #6 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator
 
tbird100636's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Age: 32
Posts: 1,826
Exclamation Re: 1993 Taurus Wont Start.....beeps 5 Times..... Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman70 View Post
OK so i kinda have an update..... i was able to get the car to run..... but the ONLY way it starts is if i jump a wire straight from the battery to the red/ light green wire to the harness on the driver side of the engine bay....the one with the big grey plug next to the shock tower....

This is the same wire the previous owner spliced into to power the fan.....so imagine if you will....with the key not even in the car.....i jump a wire from the battery to this red/green wire in the harness.....then i hear the CCRM relays clicking.... and the fuel pump primes.... then when i get into the car the dummy lights are on... as if i have the key turned to on..... yet the key isnt even in yet....and now the car starts and runs like normal when i turn the key.....but it stays running untill i disconnect that wire

But if i take the wire off of the battery, and i turn the key to "on" and try to start it..... all i get is 5 beeps and no dummy lights at all, no CCRM activity and no fuel pump prime....

At first i thought maybe the ignition switch went bad.... but SOMETHING is happening when i turn the key to on.... i get 5 beeps and every other thing in the car works... lights/power windows, ac blower motor etc..... i have checked all the fuses under the steering wheel and under the hood.... is there another location im missing? What would cause this red/green wire to not get current?........ im so confused and i cant take the car to ford....ive been seeing some posts about a fusable link on this circuit? Can anyone tell me where this "fusable link" could be?
The fusable links were replaed by the underhood fuse block behind the left strut tower. From what you've indicated, I think you have a bad ignition switch. You doubt it because your Power windows, A/C blower and other items still work??? Well the thing is the ignition switch operates more than one electrical circuit. You can have an igntion switch that still works for a few circuits but not for others. The Red/Light Green wire you are jumping power to is one of the circuits from the ignition switch. Where the ignition switch is not powering the circuit, jumping it is powering the CCRM, the cluster and the Ignition coil fuse in the underhood fuse box. See next reply.
__________________
Master ASE Certified L1 Chrysler Technician- still a Ford fan at heart.
1964 Thunderbird Hardtop- Chantily Beige- 390 FE 4V V8-Uncle's Car
1966 Thunderbird Convertible- Red- 390 FE 4V V8- Uncle's other car- waiting for paint and body work!!!
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 20:56   #7 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator
 
tbird100636's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Age: 32
Posts: 1,826
Exclamation Re: 1993 Taurus Wont Start.....beeps 5 Times..... Help!

Since the blower motor still works, I doubt the ignition/blower fuse in the underhood box is blown. The Ignition switch provides the power to the cluster, IP fuse panel fuse 18, and through the grey C100 connector by the strut tower, the ignition coil fuse in the underhood fuse panel.


As you can see from the Ignition coil fuse feeds several circuits through a splice. If this fuse were blown, only the items in this diagram would not work, if the ignition switch was working properly you would still have a working cluster.


So where you have all of the circuits feed by the Red/Light Green wire, I'd say you have a bad ignition switch. One more thing to check and verify this, see if the ignition switch connector can be back probed with a test light on the Red/Light green wire to check for power with the key on. With a bad switch the test light will not illuminate. If by some odd chance it does light, then Splice 210 in the harness is broken. You just have to untape the harness and follow the Red/Light Green wire back to the splice.
__________________
Master ASE Certified L1 Chrysler Technician- still a Ford fan at heart.
1964 Thunderbird Hardtop- Chantily Beige- 390 FE 4V V8-Uncle's Car
1966 Thunderbird Convertible- Red- 390 FE 4V V8- Uncle's other car- waiting for paint and body work!!!
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 17:03   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3
Re: 1993 Taurus Wont Start.....beeps 5 Times..... Help!

tbird100636 thank you so very much for the wiring diagram.

It was the ignition switch....it was actually burned where the red/green wire pin went into it. Because of the shotty wiring that was previously done i picked up a relay and wired it up the "right" way untill i can afford a new CCRM module. The ac compressor wont kickm on either and ive tested the low pressure switch soim assuming the CCRM is my next buy...

Again thanks to all.....I want to have a "Turbo Taurus" one day.....but being that this is our family/daily driver for right now those days will have to wait lol

Is there a site i can get the complete wiring diagram of the car? or do i have to pay for it?
mustangman70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 18:57   #9 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator
 
tbird100636's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Age: 32
Posts: 1,826
cool Re: 1993 Taurus Wont Start.....beeps 5 Times..... Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman70 View Post
tbird100636 thank you so very much for the wiring diagram.

It was the ignition switch....it was actually burned where the red/green wire pin went into it. Because of the shotty wiring that was previously done i picked up a relay and wired it up the "right" way untill i can afford a new CCRM module. The ac compressor wont kickm on either and ive tested the low pressure switch soim assuming the CCRM is my next buy...

Again thanks to all.....I want to have a "Turbo Taurus" one day.....but being that this is our family/daily driver for right now those days will have to wait lol

Is there a site i can get the complete wiring diagram of the car? or do i have to pay for it?
I don't know if the Taurus Car Club of America has free wiring diagrams, but otherwise, you can still buy the Electrical/Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual which has the complete wiring diagrams from HELM, the manufacturer of the Ford manuals. Only $22.50.

1993 Taurus/Sable Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual

They also have the Shop Manual too, but the wiring diagrams aren't in the shop manual. The shop manual also doesn't have the powertrain/emissions diagnostic procedures, Ford opted to make one big book for all of the car/truck lines each year, it's still available but expensive compared to the shop manual and EVTM.
__________________
Master ASE Certified L1 Chrysler Technician- still a Ford fan at heart.
1964 Thunderbird Hardtop- Chantily Beige- 390 FE 4V V8-Uncle's Car
1966 Thunderbird Convertible- Red- 390 FE 4V V8- Uncle's other car- waiting for paint and body work!!!
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 18:53   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 240
Re: 1993 Taurus Wont Start.....beeps 5 Times..... Help!

Hey T-Bird----

Congrats!!! You did a FINE JOB with this problem.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:49.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.