1994 Ford Taurus Speedometer Issue PLEASE HELP - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2007, 08:25   #1 (permalink)

confused 1994 Ford Taurus Speedometer Issue PLEASE HELP

The speedometer does not work. Every once in awhile it will jump and fluxuate between 35-55 (but won't register the correct speed). It is not the vehicle speed sensor. My fiancee disconnected the line to the transaxle and put a screw gun on it and it the speedometer was moving correctly and registering. We are at our wits end as to what the heck the problem can be. But from what I have figured out about Taurus' they are notorious for this issue - I have seen issues from early to late 90 models. He is wondering if there is a pin or something that could have possibly came loose? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated and helpful. Thank you in advance for some answers. If you need further info on the vehicle, please let me know and I will provide anything that you ask. I just want this fixed. I drive my 3 year old in this vehicle and I am pregnant with a second child and being a female I do not feel safe to drive this vehicle at all. (The transmission obviously doesn't shift correctly because of this and the obvious - I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT SPEED I AM GOING!!) (One Benefit: I have had this car for 5 months and it still has the same mileage on it, LOL). We keep being told it is the speed sensor, but that has been replaced and it is not the issue. PLEASE HELP I AM DESPARATE!!!!!
miles1078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2007, 09:09   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: 1994 Ford Taurus Speedometer Issue PLEASE HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles1078
The speedometer does not work. Every once in awhile it will jump and fluxuate between 35-55 (but won't register the correct speed). It is not the vehicle speed sensor. My fiancee disconnected the line to the transaxle and put a screw gun on it and it the speedometer was moving correctly and registering. We are at our wits end as to what the heck the problem can be. But from what I have figured out about Taurus' they are notorious for this issue - I have seen issues from early to late 90 models. He is wondering if there is a pin or something that could have possibly came loose? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated and helpful. Thank you in advance for some answers. If you need further info on the vehicle, please let me know and I will provide anything that you ask. I just want this fixed. I drive my 3 year old in this vehicle and I am pregnant with a second child and being a female I do not feel safe to drive this vehicle at all. (The transmission obviously doesn't shift correctly because of this and the obvious - I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT SPEED I AM GOING!!) (One Benefit: I have had this car for 5 months and it still has the same mileage on it, LOL). We keep being told it is the speed sensor, but that has been replaced and it is not the issue. PLEASE HELP I AM DESPARATE!!!!!
You sure about the VSS??? The VSS has a small metal shaft (more like a pin) running through it and I've seen it break before. From the way you descried it, you disconnected the cable from the VSS, spun it with a drill and it worked. That eliminates that side of the eqaution. Remove the VSS and look at it. You should find the broken pin.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 09:29   #3 (permalink)

Re: 1994 Ford Taurus Speedometer Issue PLEASE HELP

He tells me it is not the VSS - that is what he attached his drill to. He thinks the issue is inside the transmission. The plastic gear inside the transmission spins freely with vehicle in park - shouldn't it stay in one place unless the vehicle is moving? The speed sensor has been replaced. Speedometer didn't work after the replacement of the speed sensor.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:24   #4 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: 1994 Ford Taurus Speedometer Issue PLEASE HELP

Quote:
He tells me it is not the VSS - that is what he attached his drill to. He thinks the issue is inside the transmission. The plastic gear inside the transmission spins freely with vehicle in park - shouldn't it stay in one place unless the vehicle is moving? The speed sensor has been replaced. Speedometer didn't work after the replacement of the speed sensor.
O.K.... it shouldn't spin. It is keyed to the speedometer drive shaft-sounds like the inside of the gear stripped out. Just remove the 2 screws and pull the cover that the VSS is mounted in off. You can now pull the speedometer drive gear and shaft out. This way you can see if the gear is in fact stripped out.
Old 07-28-2007, 14:04   #5 (permalink)

Re: 1994 Ford Taurus Speedometer Issue PLEASE HELP

Ok. That helps! He looked at it and said it makes complete sense and could find the cover. The only bad thing is he said they make it a pain to get to. He said he will have to remove the engine mount and the exhaust (I think that is what he said) to get to it. So needless to say it won't be happening soon. But I appreciate your help. Thanks so much!!!
Old 07-28-2007, 19:20   #6 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: 1994 Ford Taurus Speedometer Issue PLEASE HELP

Quote:
Ok. That helps! He looked at it and said it makes complete sense and could find the cover. The only bad thing is he said they make it a pain to get to. He said he will have to remove the engine mount and the exhaust (I think that is what he said) to get to it. So needless to say it won't be happening soon. But I appreciate your help. Thanks so much!!!
If it is a 3.8L engine then you may have to move stuff to get at the cover. If it is a 3.0L Vulcan engine then I find this a little odd. There is room to get in there to get the cover off and the speedo. drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007