1994 Taurus 3.0 won't start - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2008, 19:53   #1 (permalink)

1994 Taurus 3.0 won't start

Hello, this is my first post at this site and I'd appreciate any help I can get. My daughter's 1994 Taurus just died the other night while it was idling, and now it will crank but not start. If I spray starting fluid into the intake it does start for a second or 2 so I'm assuming the spark is sufficient. I checked the fuel pressure with a gauge at the shrader valve and the key in the "on" position, and it read 40 after I activated the fuel pump 3 or 4 times, so the fuel pump and regulator seem OK. Does anyone have have an idea of the next step I should take, or has anyone had a similar problem? I bought this car for my daughter to drive when she's home from college,and I really can't afford to dump a lot of money into it if at all possible. Thanks for any help in advance.
dtl31996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2008, 21:24   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: 1994 Taurus 3.0 won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtl31996 View Post
Hello, this is my first post at this site and I'd appreciate any help I can get. My daughter's 1994 Taurus just died the other night while it was idling, and now it will crank but not start. If I spray starting fluid into the intake it does start for a second or 2 so I'm assuming the spark is sufficient. I checked the fuel pressure with a gauge at the shrader valve and the key in the "on" position, and it read 40 after I activated the fuel pump 3 or 4 times, so the fuel pump and regulator seem OK. Does anyone have have an idea of the next step I should take, or has anyone had a similar problem? I bought this car for my daughter to drive when she's home from college,and I really can't afford to dump a lot of money into it if at all possible. Thanks for any help in advance.
First, make sure you have 4-6 volts on the VREF wire of the TPS (One of the outside wires, the side with the locating ear. Next, since you say it started on starting fluid, we don't have to check spark. Will it start at part throttle??? Try disconnecting the vacuum line going to the EGR valve and starting it. I'll stop here so you can try these things first.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 17:24   #3 (permalink)

Re: 1994 Taurus 3.0 won't start

No intentions of stealing Tbirds thunder here, just thought I would offer a different possible reason.

Last year my Mercury Cougar puked, coughed and those were the last noises heard for awhile. I didn't have a chance to read eny OBD2 codes because our son was tooooo fast with the laptop and hit CLEAR, and clear it did............but the car didn't start.

I checked spark, gas pressure and whatever else I could think of. Finally had the car towed to a garage. Cost $1250 to fix the problem.

THE PROBLEM: A collapsed catalytic converter. Something I would never have thought of. Just something to think of.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:26   #4 (permalink)

Thanks to you both for your replies. Foggysail,I'm crossing my fingers that my problem is something less involved than that. The battery died the other night,so that's why it took a while to get back. Tbird, there was approx. 5 volts at the TPS. Does this mean that the TPS is good, or only that it's getting the 5 VREF it requires? I also disconnected the vacuum line at the EGR valve, but it still just cranks but won't turn over. Do you have any other ideas?
Old 11-03-2008, 14:33   #5 (permalink)

DT-- Even if you have a failed converter, I believe you can purchase the entire exhaust with a new converter for less than $700. But you will have to check for yourself. I don't know how to diagnose a failed converter or I would have changed the thing myself.

Good luck with it--

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 22:11   #6 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtl31996 View Post
Thanks to you both for your replies. Foggysail,I'm crossing my fingers that my problem is something less involved than that. The battery died the other night,so that's why it took a while to get back. Tbird, there was approx. 5 volts at the TPS. Does this mean that the TPS is good, or only that it's getting the 5 VREF it requires? I also disconnected the vacuum line at the EGR valve, but it still just cranks but won't turn over. Do you have any other ideas?
Only that the 5 Volt reference is there. Are you sure about the fuel pressure??? It should go right up to 40 the first key turn and stay there. Well, you didn't mention if it starts at part throttle. If it didn't it leads back to the EGR system, which you've already disconnected. If it starts at part throttle then check the resistance of the IAC valve with an ohmmeter, Postive ohmmeter lead to pin on valve where red wire goes, negative lead to other pin on valve (White). If it's not between 6 and 13 ohms then it needs an IAC valve. Report back your findings if otherwise.
Old 11-08-2008, 18:34   #7 (permalink)

Tbird, it didn't start at part throttle. Also, it takes 2 to 3 turns of the key for it to come up to 40, and then it stays there. I may be wrong, but I would think if the pressure is there that it should at least sound like it is trying to turn over.When I spray starter fluid into the air intake a few times it starts for a second or two. Should it stay running longer that that, or is that only enough fuel to just get it to start and die like it's doing? Again, I appreciate your help. I'm lost on this one.
Old 11-08-2008, 22:34   #8 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

No start on part throttle...disconnect EGR valve...oh you did that already...they then have you inspecting the valve and removing it and inspecting it... if nothing found check fuel pressure again... after a few key cycles... if in spec leave key on for 60 seconds inspecting for fuel leaks and watching for pressure drop... no drop disconnect inertia switch and crank engine 5 seconds... looking for a pressure drop of 5 psi or more... if it does drop EEC system not at fault... if it doesn't you next have to check the resistance of injector circuits... come back tomorrow for the rest...
Old 11-13-2008, 08:08   #9 (permalink)

When was the last time you changed the fuel filter ? Sounds like it is plugged pretty bad. You will now likely need a new pump with that kind of back pressure. If you do need a new pump DO NOT put in an after market pump.
If you do you will put in a pump every year. The fuel pressure shoud come to
43 lbs. on the first turn of the key every time. There is also a grounding problem with those cars. Under the hood on the right top side of the rad by
the negative battery cable you will find a gray connector with 4 wires on it.
Maybe 5, can't remember. 2 in one side 3 ? on the other. That connector
grounds the relay box under the fan gaurd. Your fuel pump relay is in that box. Cut the connector off and solder the wires together. I've got a 92-93-94-95 taurus and had to cut the connector off every one and solder them up.
The car would drive down the road and just stop never to start again until
the connector was fixed. You might have the same problem.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 17:57   #10 (permalink)

Tbird, the pressure dropped to around 25 after cranking with the inertia switch disconnected. What would be the next step?

Chip, I'll check that connector you mentioned. One question, when you had problems with the connector, would the fuel pump still operate? Mine is operating, so I figured electrically it was fine.

I've been having a lot of problems logging into this site, so that's why it took forever to get back on here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007