1995 Ford Taurus - radiator fan - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2009, 13:15   #1 (permalink)

1995 Ford Taurus - radiator fan

How can I test whether the radiator fan is working properly? The heat guage goes up when in slow stop and go traffic.
SalemJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2009, 16:53   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: 1995 Ford Taurus - radiator fan

Does the vehicle overheat? Come close to overheating? Or does it just have you worried?

Best way to check is to park the vehicle and open the hood. Once the engine warms up enough the fan should turn on. Put your hand in front of the rad and make sure you feel some air blowing out.

Also, be sure to take a hose and push all the tiny rocks/bug guts out from inbetween the fins. This will help extend the life of the rad.

If the heat gauge is staying in the proper range I wouldn't worry too much. Another option if you live in an area that doesn't go below freezing, is to install a 180F stat in place of the 195F stock thermostat. This will lower engine temps all around and can increase engine life and reduce future engine knock/ping.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 17:18   #3 (permalink)

Do you have a 3 lt or a 3.8 ? Makes a difference. 360 is half right but the air will
suck into the rad not blow out. Half wrong. DO NOT put in a 180 stat. As i said before
the 3 lt uses a 198 stat and the 3.8 uses a 192 stat. Anything under those readings the
thermo switches will not work properly and you will have a lot of emission problems
including transmission shift problems.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 17:36   #4 (permalink)
canuck

My vehicle info is in my signature. Also, my '99 3.0L 2V has dual electric fans that push air out (last I checked). They're about 10" diameter each. The fans only come on when the engine reaches a certain temperature. If the vehicle is moving, air will be passing in through the radiator. However, having any type of fan, electric of centrifugal blowing air into the engine isn't good when you're sitting in stop and go traffic, as the hot radiator air will be pulled into a hot engine bay, making matters even worse. This is another reason why a 180F stat can come in handy. Not to mention running the A/C compressor makes under hood temps even warmer.

I run a 180F stat during the summer months and have no issues with shifting and what not. I don't have a transmission oil cooler nor do I tow anything with my Taurus. Don't forget that it takes a good 3-5 minutes before a temp of 190F or greater is achieved, so if you drive the car and the check engine light doesn't come on until it gets up to that temp, then you need not worry as it shouldn't matter if the engine has to run at an exact temp or not. The engine just can't run too cool (like a 160F stat is a no-no), as the PCM will illuminate the check engine light after a prolonged period if the engine isn't up to a certain temperature. 160F stats are for racing only. 180F stats are also meant for racing to keep temperatures down, but they're safe to run in modern automobiles as they decrease heat, which in turn decreases engine wear, wear on rubber lines and wiring, etc. It's a win-win situation.

A guy that I used to know had a '95 Taurus with the 3.0L 140hp V6. He had it slightly built with some aftermarket parts and a custom tune to make it all work well. He ran a 180F stat and the engine still ran great and there was no CEL. Perhaps there are some odd-ball versions out there with different PCM programming, but I've never had problems running a slightly cooler thermostat in any vehicle.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 21:40   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalemJim View Post
How can I test whether the radiator fan is working properly? The heat guage goes up when in slow stop and go traffic.
I found this under "Engine Coolant Temperature Gauge" in the Owner's Manual: "The pointer moves from the C (cold) mark into the NORMAL band as the engine warms up. It is acceptable for the pointer to fluctuate within the NORMAL band under normal driving conditions. Under certain driving conditions, such as heavy stop and go traffic or driving up hills in hot weather, the pointer may indicate at the top of the NORMAL band."

That's what I saw happening. It never went out of NORMAL into H because I put the heater on high and got rid of some heat. But according to the manual maybe it never would. If it does, the manual says Pull off the road, turn off the engine and let it cool off. Any more thoughts? Thanks.
SalemJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:21   #6 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

The fan should have two speeds. If you are at idle and turn on the AC then the fan should run at high speed. If you just let it idle with the AC off or the CC in the floor position the low speed fan should come on at 215F.
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 14:20   #7 (permalink)

The 95 taurus cooling fan does not work that way. It is one speed only and sucks into the engine compartment. There is only one fan. The fan will come on with the AC no
matter what the ambiant temp is. Any part of the " NORMAL " area of the gauge is
normal. When the red over heat light is on then you have a problem. My cooling fan comes on on my 95 when the needle is on " R " of normal. My 94 fan comes on at " O ".
of normal. My 93 fan comes on at " A " of normal. They are all different. When that fan comes on you will know it. The motor will slow down for a second and you can hear it.
The temp gauge needle will drop very fast. When the needle of the temp gauge is on
the N of normal it could be 198 degs. When it is on L of normal it could be 220. That is only a 22 deg. difference. The over heat light on the dash comes on at 235.F. Well it is
supposed to anyway. Could be 225 or 240. You have to put a mechanical gauge on it
to get a more accurate reading. If you can't hear it boiling it ain't boiling. Remember the gauge is a reference point NOT an accurate reading unless you have a GOOD mechanical
calibrated gauge made specially for testing. The scan tool is your best bet. A more simple way to test is start the car and make sure the heater blower motor is off. Get yourself a beer and stand there untill the motor gets hot and see if the fan comes on. Its
going to take some time. When the fan kicks in look at your temp gauge and see where
it is pointing to.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 21:51   #8 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

Well the original poster does not say what engine he has. But he said the engine is in his signature. So that is the way the '99 Vulcan fans work.
Old 05-05-2009, 21:53   #9 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

Here is how the '95 Taurus fans work.

Cooling Fan, Electric

WARNING:
DISCONNECT THE COOLING FAN MOTOR PRIOR TO PERFORMING ANY UNDERHOOD SERVICE SINCE THE COOLING FAN MOTOR COULD CYCLE IF THE IGNITION SWITCH (11572) IS LEFT IN THE ON POSITION EVEN THOUGH THE ENGINE IS NOT RUNNING.

The fan control system consists of:

A two-speed cooling fan motor is used on all 3.0L/3.0L flexible fuel (FF), 3.2L SHO and 3.8L engines with automatic transaxle (ATX).

A one-speed cooling fan motor is used on vehicles equipped with 3.0L SHO engines and manual transaxle (MTX).

The cooling fan motor is wired to operate only when the ignition switch is in the RUN position, thereby preventing cooling fan motor operation after the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position.

The cooling fan system is controlled during vehicle operation by the constant control relay module (CCRM) and powertrain control module (PCM) which will energize the cooling fan motor under the following conditions:

Cooling fan motor is turned on for the 3.0L SHO and on at low speed for 3.0L, 3.2L SHO and 3.8L if:

a. Engine temperature is higher than normal. Cooling fan motor starts running at 102°C (215°F) and stops running at 99°C (210°F).

b. A/C is on and vehicle speed does not provide enough natural airflow. Cooling fan motor starts running at speeds at or below 69 km/h (43 mph) and stops running at 77 km/h (48 mph).

Cooling fan will run at high speed if:

a. Engine temperature is higher than desirable and cooling fan motor has been operating at low speed. Cooling fan motor starts running at high speed at 110°C (230°F) and stops running at 107°C (224°F).

On 3.0L/3.0L FF and 3.2L SHO engines with ATX, low speed cooling fan motor operation is achieved by using a dropping resistor in series with the motor/motors.

The 3.8L engine uses a dual-winding cooling fan motor in which low speed fan control is achieved through the low fan control winding circuit (no dropping resistor).

The normal operation and cycling of the cooling fan motor causes the temperature gauge indicator to read between the mid-point and upper portion of the temperature gauge scale.

The slightly higher indicator reading returns to mid-point when cooling fan motor operation begins.
Old 10-03-2009, 14:30   #10 (permalink)

Hmm! I had 3 posts yesterday & they are gone today???
I wonder what happened?
jimsnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007