1995 Taurus SHO Subwoofer Replacement - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2008, 08:21   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation 1995 Taurus SHO Subwoofer Replacement

Hi,

Can anyone please recommend a replacement subwoofer for the 6.5" JBL sub in the rear deck lid of a 1995 Ford Taurus SHO? Someone on another forum recommended the following but I'm not sure about 1. Ease of installation or 2. Whether or not it will be compatible with the stock amplifier.

Elemental Designs

The cone of my subwoofer cracked with age and I'm looking for a direct replacement.

Also, does anyone know how to properly remove the subwoofer from it's enclosure? Does it require removing the deck lid or can I pull the entire thing
out from the trunk?

Thanks so much,
Eddie
edwerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2008, 11:54   #2 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

Re: 1995 Taurus SHO Subwoofer Replacement

The stock one is 6 ohms. And the stock amp is 80W IIRC. There are not many replacement ones that sound good. You can repair the OEM one if it is just the foam ring that has deteriorated.
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 14:53   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOZ123 View Post
The stock one is 6 ohms. And the stock amp is 80W IIRC. There are not many replacement ones that sound good. You can repair the OEM one if it is just the foam ring that has deteriorated.
Thanks for the reply -- I'll go hunting to see whats out there.

Do you know if I'll have to remove the rear seat back in order to gain access to the sub or can I pull it out from the trunk? I haven't had much time to look at it but from what I could see the lip of the sub is resting on the deck lid.

Thanks,
Ed

***Edit***

I've just come across a picture of the enclosure after it was removed and it looks like you could simply remove the four bolts mounting the enclosure to the top of the trunk and it'll just come right out along with the sub (The lip of the speaker is fitted flush in the enclosure, it isn't resting on the deck lid). As far as what subwoofer would fit in the stock enclosure, I haven't a clue. I was able to find an OEM sub + enclosure combo on eBay however and I think I'll just go with that. For the few days I owned the car and the sub worked, it sounded great. I'll go aftermarket at a later date.

Thank you for your help.
Eddie
edwerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 23:31   #4 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

For future reference here is a link to the speaker repair kit.

Speaker Repair Foam Edge Kits
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:06   #5 (permalink)

No need to pull anything from the seat or the deck lid - the box is held on w/4 bolts/nuts and you get to them from the trunk (easier if you're laying on your back in the trunk). You'll need a long extension and a deep-well socket (forget the size). I took mine out and replaced the stock blown sub w/a 10" MTX Thunder. I had to cut the hole out bigger, obviously. It doesn't sound very good so I'm looking for alternatives. There's just not enough volume in the box to support a bigger sub. If you use the stock box, go w/the stock size.

Casey
93 ATX (green, of course)
93SHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007