Ford Forums banner

1996 Taurus AX4N Tranny Problems

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  98shotoy 
#1 ·
1996 Ford Taurus GL, 3.0L Vulcan, AX4N auto T/axle, 108,000 Miles

Common Problem:

Intermitent Neutral Condition when stopped after driving.
Shifts great when driving but enters a "neutral" condition at most stops. I shift into neutral and back into gear and it goes just fine. No issues while driving at all.

The previous owner had Tranny flushed which seemed to have helped problem for a short time, no paperwork showing that filter has been changed.

I have heard several different answers to this, maybe we can get this narrowed once and for all.

I have heard the following:

-Needs correct fluid
-This tranny works best with fluid level 4oz above full.
-Torque converter shot
-Forward piston seal bad, maybe (Ford TSB 98-3-7)
-Forward Aluminum piston cracked (I think 1996 and later Ax4N have a
steel forward piston)
-Improper fluid flow inside tranny

What is the cause? Can it be fixed without a complete rebuild?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

See less See more
#2 ·
This is "exactly" what is wrong with my wifes '97 3.0 Vulcan.
However it only does it when car is cold (first 10 miles), then it appears to be fine.
Is the problem TSB 98-3-7 If so, what kind of money are we talking about?

Hoping I do not have a major tranny problem brewing here. I've had the car for less than a year. It now has 107k and I have not touched the tranny other than to check fluid which looks/smells fine. Levels were also good. Other than the problem described above (which has started just a few weeks ago), the car has run perfect.
If anyone is willing to shed some light, it would be very helpful.--TIA

#3 ·
Well from the sounds of it it could be a couple things.......either it just needs a tranny flush...and not just the tranny fluid changed but flushed or the sensor needs to be replaced. Other then that I am stummped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.