1997 Ford Taurus multiple problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2003, 11:34   #1 (permalink)
bbertine

1997 Ford Taurus multiple problems

I've got some problems with my wife's 1997 Taurus GL I'd like to fix before we sell it.

1. Intermittant problem: Door ajar light stays on when all of the doors are secure. While it is on, the driver's door lock will not lock. You hit the power lock, and it locks, then pops back up. Also, the automatic door locks (when you switch into drive) won't work with the door ajar lamp on.

2. Turn signals and hazard lamps not working. I've checked both fuses, and they are both good. I'm figuring all 4 bulbs didn't burn out at the same time....

3. HORRIBLE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2003, 11:35   #2 (permalink)
bbertine

Re: 1997 Ford Taurus multiple problems

3. HORRIBLE spark knock almost all the time. And bad mileage (17-18). I've replaced the plugs and wires to no avail.

Thanks for any help!
Old 10-06-2003, 21:40   #3 (permalink)
gkorpi

Hi-I've got the same problem with a 96 Taurus wgn. Turn Signal and hazard light fuses are OK. Maybe the turn signal/hazard light delay relay? But, I can't find the relay.

If you get a response to your question would you pass it on to me? Please?
Thanks,
Glen K.
gkorpi@cox.net
Old 10-09-2003, 13:46   #4 (permalink)
kdugas

I fixed the problem. The Ford place told me how to. I replaced the fuse and relay but that did not work. I had to purchase the actual turn signal switch. Pull the old one off the stering column and replace it. Problem went away. The Ford place said this was common. This was for a 1997 Taurus SHO.

Ask your local dealer about problems with the switch. The contact in the switch breaks and makes the other lights malfunction.

Let me know if this helps..

Kyle
Old 03-11-2004, 10:32   #5 (permalink)

I am having the same problem with my 1996 Ford Taurus GL station wagon, where intermittantly the door ajar light stays on when all of the doors are secure. While it is on, the driver's door lock will not lock. You hit the power lock, and it locks, then pops back up. This means that the dome light and interior lights in the doors remain on while driving or even after parking and leaving the car, which is obviously a worry in terms of running the battery down. Sometimes the lights will go off after a while either driving or parked but sometimes not. Has anyone any ideas, I have currently removed the bulbs from the door and dome lights but really would like to fix the problem permanently.
Thanks
bsp3ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 13:38   #6 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

BSP3KS: I posted an answer for you in the other thread you made. But here it is again. Cut and pasted.

Inexpensive and temporary way to fix: Simply spray in a lot of WD-40, Break-Free, or some other penatrating lubricant into the opening in the door where the latch is located, then open and close the door 20 to 30 times.

Some cost involved and perminant way to fix: Replace the switch/sensor in the door. You should be able to purchase the part at Ford for less than $10.00 and if you do not want to do it yourself you can pay a body shop less than $20 to put it in. It is not that hard to replace yourself if you have the tools.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 17:21   #7 (permalink)
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbertine
3. HORRIBLE spark knock almost all the time. And bad mileage (17-18). I've replaced the plugs and wires to no avail.

Thanks for any help!
I've got a spark knock with mine as well. Replaced plugs and reprogrammed the ECM. There's actually a Ford 1999 tech bulletin out for 1996-97 models for spark knock. Might want to check it out. Tech bulletin recommends to have dealer reprogram ECM with updated settings. Maybe helped me some but didn't stop the knock. Still a nuisance. I've concluded that it's a mechanical situation now. Gas mileage has been normal though. Not going to chase ($) the knock problem anymore unless something fails.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:42   #8 (permalink)

A/c probs

ok i have a 97 taurus lx dohc, i got the ac fixed last year costed me 1900.00 neways i go to use it this year and nothing, well it comes on sometimes, and the blower comes on sometimes, if i hit the switch its pops on for a few, is there a relay for the ac? and where is it? could it be the switch? i am at a lose and of course my warrenty is up, UGH someone pls help me thanks so much
chaders1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 21:04   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticSVT
BSP3KS: Replace the switch/sensor in the door. You should be able to purchase the part at Ford for less than $10.00 and if you do not want to do it yourself you can pay a body shop less than $20 to put it in. It is not that hard to replace yourself if you have the tools.
Where is that switch? Is it a simple contact switch or something more sophisiticated? I ask that because I looked for it and didn't see it. How do I get access to the switch or is that evident once I know the location?

BTW, I am having exactly the same intermittant "door ajar" light problem that some of the other people report.
dmcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 23:15   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

The switch is located within the latch mechanism. I had the same problem, sprayed some CRC lubricant and problems solved.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007