1997 Ford Taurus will not start - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2004, 03:58   #1 (permalink)

1997 Ford Taurus will not start

Hello,

I changed my TR sensor 5 days ago and all was fine. Then 2 days after changing it my car would not start (nothing when key is turned at all) messed with it for a bit just moving key back and forth and then it started. two days later of perfect starting, same thing stranded me and had to have the car towed home. Next morning went out to look at the car to fix it and it started 5 times so I took it to work. Started after work. Got home and came inside for a minute then went to store and it would not start. I have tapped the starter thinking it may have a dead spot but to no avial. Any suggestions.

UPDATE to post as i typed this my girlfriend said you should try it this morning. I did and it started FINE. It wont start when warm. ???? but if it sits at work all day or overnight it starts fine. Has to be a sensor and my burnt up TRS could have burned it up if it was sending to much current???? Help.

Thanks in advance
rustywins02
rustywins02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2004, 13:52   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1997 Ford Taurus will not start

Update to original post. Replaced starter and solenoid. Ran for 20 minutes and will not start. Tried 1 hour later still would not start. This morning started fine. ??????????????????????????????
Old 01-03-2005, 05:12   #3 (permalink)

My grandmother had the same problem with her 96 Sable. I tested the battery and it was charged. I didn't even get a click when I turned the key. Then I had a thought that it could be something in the shift linkage where it wouldn't let the car start unless it was in PARK. So I turned the key on and put the car in NEUTRAL and it started right up. It started up every single time after that, in PARK and NEUTRAL. I will check the car periodically this week. If the problem persists, I may have to take it to the dealer.
fordgroupie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 09:06   #4 (permalink)

Well I found the problem with My post and I would be willing to bet ford groupie that your problem is your TRS sensor. That is basically a neutral saftey switch on the taurus.

My issue was the piggy back cable. I took it to Ford and they said it is basically a cable that is your postive and negative battery cables but has other connectors piggy backed off that cable. Cost 100 to find out what it was and 90 to put it on. I would have but it was single digits with no garage. I aint stupid.

Anyway ford groupie the TRS sensor prevents the car from starting in neutral. If it DOES start in neutral that would be an indication that the TRS is bad. There are two types for the taurus. One is 25 and one is 54 aprox. There is nothing to changing them just have the car in neutral and dont move the switch when you get becuase is it sent from manufacturer in neutral.

Hope this post and all my others have helped ANYONE. thanks to all that have helped me.

Scott
Old 12-21-2005, 15:27   #5 (permalink)

I am having the same problem with my 94 Ford Taurus. It sometimes will not start, usually after the car had been running a while and is warm (when I turn the key, no sound - just a click). When I try starting it in the morning or after it's been sitting for a while, it starts right up. I just replaced the starter twice so that is not the problem. The battery is good too. I have taken it to an auto mechanic but it starts right up for them so they cannot find the problem. I am ready to take it directly to the Ford dealer and they said it would cost me $145 for a diagnostic test to find the problem.

If my problem is the TRS sensor, how much should it cost to be fixed?

Occasionally stranded in Seattle,
Diane
dianzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 23:05   #6 (permalink)

do you h ave any burned out brake lites. starter relays, bad battery cables or maybe a bad starter. this is a very very common problems i h ave been fighting it myself. changed neutral switch, got better, still does it s few times a month
rlevy64614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 16:15   #7 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: 1997 Ford Taurus will not start

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianzee
I am having the same problem with my 94 Ford Taurus. It sometimes will not start, usually after the car had been running a while and is warm (when I turn the key, no sound - just a click). When I try starting it in the morning or after it's been sitting for a while, it starts right up. I just replaced the starter twice so that is not the problem. The battery is good too. I have taken it to an auto mechanic but it starts right up for them so they cannot find the problem. I am ready to take it directly to the Ford dealer and they said it would cost me $145 for a diagnostic test to find the problem.

If my problem is the TRS sensor, how much should it cost to be fixed?

Occasionally stranded in Seattle,
Diane
Common thing on these-the solenoid trigger wire on the starter gets corroded and causes this condition. My grandfather's 93 Taurus GL w/ a 3.8L did this. I don't think it is the TRS in your case.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007