Ford Forums banner

1997 Taurus GL - Vulcan - Electrical (alt and Stereo combination)

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  tbird100636 
#1 ·
Battery info:
Baseline voltage = 11.8V (COLD 23° F)
Idle voltage = 14.56V (same temp)
Age = Unknown

(will be purchasing a new battery regardless)

Additions to car = 500 watt Alpine
Everything else stock.

===
Have been having an issue cold starting lately (i know, it's michigan) and monday, had the battery light come on (after having to get a jump).

Recently also noticed a noise coming from the engine compartment, I am attributing it to either the alternator itself or the Tension pully... anyway that's not my question.

My question is.. With the above noted addition, should I install a larger battery and/or higher rated alternator, or should I be good with stock setup?

ALSO I have read about installing caps to reduce the headlight dimming on the bass hits, cause I do experience this.

What is the best route for me based on your guys' experience?

See less See more
#2 ·
If that is the original alt. it is shot. Time to rebuild it. That car comes with a 130 amp.
alt. Doesn't get any bigger for that car. The physical size of the battery box is limited to
the smaller batteries. 650 - 720 maybe. Your amp will pull 34.48 amps at full load and
volume. I dought you will have it turned up all the way all the time. You could run two batteries with an isolator diode. Actually a continuous duty solenoid works better.

#3 ·
I have a 1995 sable and a 2000 watt sound system.I put a 1000cca battery and 5 caps in the car and it works great!I have 1000watt to the front speakers and 1000 watt for the subs.The battery fits tight but you have to remove the battery hold down bracket but you don't need it cause it fit tight enough that it doesn't move.I did this 6yrs ago and everything is fine.Never had headlight dimming.There's pics in my gallery if you want to see it.

PS-There's a single wire on the alt,remove it and clean it good(common problem)sometimes that causes the light to come on(bad connection)

#4 ·
In a 1986-95, you can fit a larger battery in the tray (Group size 65 was the largest optional battery for those.) However, the 1996-2007 models have a smaller tray, making putting a laregr battery in impossible, other than re-locating it to the trunk. The largest optional size for these was group size 36R.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.