Ford Forums banner

1998 Mercury Sable, Oil Leak (not the pan)

8K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  tbird100636 
#1 ·
I have had an oil leak on my 98 sable. Its the 24 DOHC Duratec

I got onder the car and checked the Filter to make sure it was on right, it's good. I checked the drain plug, it's good.

So upon further investigation, I discovered the leak is coming from a half dollar size "Sensor looking thing" above the oil filter. It's in the middle of a piece of tube on the front right side of the car, again, above the oil filter.

My instinct tells me this is the oil pressure sensor/switch (BTW my idiot light (oil pressure light) is blinking all the time) but I was told it would be the oil pump that was bad if it was leaking like this.

The leak has gotten so bad that i had to put in 3-4 quarts a day just to drive to work.

Today something started knocking as I accelerate. I would assume it's the oil pump that is completely dead now....

In looking at my manual, it appears that to replace the oil pump on the DOHC, you must take the engine out. If so, that sucks. any help? advice? something i can try before spending $500+ on a 10 year old car with 144000 miles?

If need be i can try and get some pictures of the leak

See less See more
#2 ·
With a blinking oil light and a leak from the oil pressure switch, that's a definate reason to replace the oil pressure switch. It screws into a fiiting on the side of the block. 3-4 quarts a day??? It must be a helluva leak if it looses that much. You better at least start with the pressure switch, make sure it's full and go from there. Low oil will cause knocking noises.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.