1999 Ford taurus power steering - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2007, 04:20   #1 (permalink)

1999 Ford taurus power steering

I'm at my wits end with this piece of crap that I still owe GMAC over a grand for. this car is breaking me. I will never own another FORD again because of this piece of crap. it cost more in repairs then for the loan.

the latest in the long list of problems is the power steering. the pump was making a loud noise a few weeks ago and i added a little fluid and it quieted down. then it started up again and wouldn't stop. So I changed the pump. after the new pump was installed it never got quiet. it made a constant low growl or squeal when the wheel was turned.
I figured maybe the pump was bad or that I should of flushed out the system.
So anyway, I got a new pump with the warranty and installed and it was more quiet but still not 100% right I am sure. I flushed the pump with 6 quarts of new fluid.
It was drivable and only made a slight noise when turning so I figured there might be a little air in it and it would eventually go away. Not the case it seems.
got up to move the car yesterday and the wheel was hard to turn. Had to leave the car home and she had to take a cab and a bus to work. (additional hidden cost from FORDS poor quality cars). anyway I looked at the pump and it was low on fluid. I added fluid and it started turning easy, the noise was still there but not that loud. Now when I turn off the engine it spits up the fluid like crazy.
the directions that came with it mentioned Vacuuming the pump to 25" of mercury to get the air out.

I don't know what to make of this mess. all I know is I'm going broke trying to keep this bucket of bolts on the road.

How do I know if my rack is the problem? and what is that thing that looks like a filter? why is is spitting back the fluid?
the wheel turns very easy back and forth with out any problem. the pump just won't stop making noise. and it is spitting the fluid up as of late.
this car is gently driven by my girlfriend of 55yrs old who drives slow and only back and forth to work.
I can not understand how this car can have so many problems.

transmission, springs, struts ,radiator,heater core, 2 water pumps ,2 alternators, door ajar light always on.the list is longer but I don't have time.I have to get to work to try and make some money to pay for this bucket of bolts called Ford taurus.
This is the first Ford I ever owned and it has been nothing but problems. Geez I wonder if that is why Ford Motor company is in so much trouble. Pumping out low quality vehicles and preying on Americans to pay for there huge bonuses and 2 and 3rd vacation homes.
they will never get me to buy again from them thats for sure. I will never own another ford car as long as I live.
szootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2007, 15:53   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1999 Ford taurus power steering

Just as I figured. all the Ace ford mechanics have nothing to say because they know damn right well that this car is the biggest piece of crap ever made. It was a car that Ford made with its spare parts and they flooded the market with these cheap trouble prone jalopies.

That why most cars you see are made by Toyota and other foreign car makers.
they know that they stopped making good cars here many years ago.

thanks for the help
Old 11-03-2007, 17:32   #3 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Question Re: 1999 Ford taurus power steering

So where's the fluid leaking from??? If you're adding fluid then there's a leak, and the system will aerate and make excessive noise and spit up when shutting off. Check all the lines, the cooler in front of the radiator, and the rack. Putting the system in a vacuum is the newest way to purge all the air from the system, but it's not really necessary.
1. After fixing your leak, with the front end jacked up so the wheels are not touching the ground.
2. Fill the reservour up enough.
3. With the engine off turn the steering wheel slowly from lock to lock. Make sure the key is in the unlocked position.
4. After about 5 turns lock to lock, check the fluid. It should need to be topped off by now.
5. Repeat steps 2-4 until the fluid level stays the same.
6. Start the engine and slowly turn the wheel lock to lock a few times.
7. Recheck the fluid.
8. Lower the vehicle and turn the wheel lock to lock a few times.
9. Recheck the fluid. Should be all set.
For the door ajar light, have you liberaly lubed the door latches with WD40 yet??? You lube the latches and open and close the doors a few times. No more door ajar light or dome lights randomly coming on.
Let's look at you other issues.
1. Transmission- an inconvenient truth, they've gradually improved over the years. Was it a full replacement, overhaul or something less involved???
2. Springs- Front springs were a recall for 1999-2001 Models. If you were charged you should be entitled to a refund.
3. Struts- Just one set??? Front or rear??? Front and rear??? If it's just one set say in just the front, you have to look at it this way. The car is 8 years old. You will have more things start to go wrong, just like on any other brand of car. A japanese brand will be less suseptible to this but, it will have an increase in repair as it ages. My mother's 99 Sable LS has 18,000 mi. It only just started to make a strut noise a couple of months ago. It had bad front sway bar links twice. 2002 and 2006.
4. Radiator-Leaking??? Restricted???
5. Heater Core-Leaking??? Restricted???
6. 2 water pumps??? Obviously someone who owned the car before didn't take care of the cooling system. What was wrong with the water pumps each time-Leaking??? Noisy??? Impellor rotted??? Were they remans or new pumps??? They do make new aftermarket water pumps that are good quality and aren't very expensive.
7. 2 alternators??? What was wrong that it needed 2 alternators??? Not charging??? Battery light coming on during heavy acceleration??? (TSB out for battery light)
What other problems have you had to fix on the car??? What's the mileage???
What was the mileage when you bought it???
Well it's your choice what you want next but any other car will have more issues with age.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:32   #4 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

Ha Ha sounds like you got an ex rental.
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 14:02   #5 (permalink)

Szootman,
Sounds to me like you expected the car to be "new". I have not heard too many Ford Taurus' or many other Ford models for that matter that do not have a power steering groan/whine. IIRC, it can be remedied with a new line, can't remember which one. Most of what you listed as problems with the car, depending on mileage, are wearable items that fail with age.
mmmdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 16:10   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

GMAC? You sure you bought a Ford?
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 14:45   #7 (permalink)
canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko
GMAC? You sure you bought a Ford?
my thoughts exactly!
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 18:55   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice. I'm really frustrated with this car. it has never ending problems.
I don't even use the thing that often. I got it for my girlfriend to get to work and have wheels in general.

as far as Gmac ? I don't know that is who the dealer put the loan thru'

Still leaking and I don't have a hell of a lot of time to do the things that need to be done. we are both working so many hours just to make ends meet And we still don't have any money! It goes on Bills and more Bills. and with oil where it is at I'm freaking scared shit about the heat.
It is one thing after another.

But thats for the help. I'm going to print out that response and try top get under it as soon as i get a chance. Sorry for the rant.
Old 07-22-2011, 13:27   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmdiesel View Post
Szootman,
Sounds to me like you expected the car to be "new". I have not heard too many Ford Taurus' or many other Ford models for that matter that do not have a power steering groan/whine. IIRC, it can be remedied with a new line, can't remember which one. Most of what you listed as problems with the car, depending on mileage, are wearable items that fail with age.
Anyone know what line that would be?
rbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 13:31   #10 (permalink)
Moderators

The post is 2007 man , I cant remember what happened yesterday !!!!!!!!!! Maybe someone will be on forum soon who has came across this and can advise you .
R.S.LOGAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007