Re: 1999 Ford taurus power steering
So where's the fluid leaking from??? If you're adding fluid then there's a leak, and the system will aerate and make excessive noise and spit up when shutting off. Check all the lines, the cooler in front of the radiator, and the rack. Putting the system in a vacuum is the newest way to purge all the air from the system, but it's not really necessary.
1. After fixing your leak, with the front end jacked up so the wheels are not touching the ground.
2. Fill the reservour up enough.
3. With the engine off turn the steering wheel slowly from lock to lock. Make sure the key is in the unlocked position.
4. After about 5 turns lock to lock, check the fluid. It should need to be topped off by now.
5. Repeat steps 2-4 until the fluid level stays the same.
6. Start the engine and slowly turn the wheel lock to lock a few times.
7. Recheck the fluid.
8. Lower the vehicle and turn the wheel lock to lock a few times.
9. Recheck the fluid. Should be all set.
For the door ajar light, have you liberaly lubed the door latches with WD40 yet??? You lube the latches and open and close the doors a few times. No more door ajar light or dome lights randomly coming on.
Let's look at you other issues.
1. Transmission- an inconvenient truth, they've gradually improved over the years. Was it a full replacement, overhaul or something less involved???
2. Springs- Front springs were a recall for 1999-2001 Models. If you were charged you should be entitled to a refund.
3. Struts- Just one set??? Front or rear??? Front and rear??? If it's just one set say in just the front, you have to look at it this way. The car is 8 years old. You will have more things start to go wrong, just like on any other brand of car. A japanese brand will be less suseptible to this but, it will have an increase in repair as it ages. My mother's 99 Sable LS has 18,000 mi. It only just started to make a strut noise a couple of months ago. It had bad front sway bar links twice. 2002 and 2006.
4. Radiator-Leaking??? Restricted???
5. Heater Core-Leaking??? Restricted???
6. 2 water pumps??? Obviously someone who owned the car before didn't take care of the cooling system. What was wrong with the water pumps each time-Leaking??? Noisy??? Impellor rotted??? Were they remans or new pumps??? They do make new aftermarket water pumps that are good quality and aren't very expensive.
7. 2 alternators??? What was wrong that it needed 2 alternators??? Not charging??? Battery light coming on during heavy acceleration??? (TSB out for battery light)
What other problems have you had to fix on the car??? What's the mileage???
What was the mileage when you bought it???
Well it's your choice what you want next but any other car will have more issues with age.
Master ASE Certified L1 Chrysler Technician- still a Ford fan at heart.
1964 Thunderbird Hardtop- Chantily Beige- 390 FE 4V V8-Uncle's Car
1966 Thunderbird Convertible- Red- 390 FE 4V V8- Uncle's other car- waiting for paint and body work!!!