Ford Forums banner

1999 Sable Heat problem

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  joe 
#1 ·
I have a 1999 sable wagon with about 110,000 miles on it. Last year the heater would not put out much heat. A number of years ago I had the coolant system flushed. This month I noticed that the coolant was no longer green. So I brought it to my mechanic to have the system flushed and to have the thermostat replaced. They did all those things along with blowing out the heater core. When I picked it up yesterday they said it was working fine but now it will put out good heat and then it will cool down some. When I turn the selector knob to vent and the temperature knob to high heat it puts out good heat. When I select defrost or feet/body the heat seems to get less. I really don't want them to use a chemical flush because that may cause more problems. If I can just get by this winter it would be great. I don't know how much longer this car is going to last.

#2 ·
joe said:
I have a 1999 Sable Wagon with about 110,000 miles on it. Last year the heater would not put out much heat. A number of years ago I had the coolant system flushed. This month I noticed that the coolant was no longer green. So I brought it to my mechanic to have the system flushed and to have the thermostat replaced. They did all those things along with blowing out the heater core. When I picked it up yesterday they said it was working fine but now it will put out good heat and then it will cool down some. When I turn the selector knob to vent and the temperature knob to high heat it puts out good heat. When I select defrost or feet/body the heat seems to get less. I really don't want them to use a chemical flush because that may cause more problems. If I can just get by this winter it would be great. I don't know how much longer this car is going to last.
You might want to check the A/C filter if it has it under the R. cowl screen. If it's blocked or dirty you will have decreased airflow. Is it Manual or EATC??? Check all the vacuum connections on the control head and on the box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.