1999 sable power steering - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2007, 14:12   #1 (permalink)

confused 1999 sable power steering

I have a 1999 sable 3.0 l sohc that developed a power steering growling noise.The fluid looks aerated(bubbles)in it when I check the fluid level.I changed the fluid but the problem continues and I have lost the mojority of my power assist.It still growls when turning.Can anyone assist me in diagnosing weather it is pump failure,rack failure or something else.Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
arch63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2007, 14:24   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1999 sable power steering

first of all, there are no SOHC tauri, they're either DOHC or pushrod. Secondly, it sounds like you have a bad seal somewhere, probably on the rack. It will be expensive to fix if you can't do it yourself as tauri steering systems are really hard to work on.
Dr. Disque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:18   #3 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: 1999 sable power steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Disque
first of all, there are no SOHC tauri, they're either DOHC or pushrod. Secondly, it sounds like you have a bad seal somewhere, probably on the rack. It will be expensive to fix if you can't do it yourself as tauri steering systems are really hard to work on.
The aftermarket seems to have an affinity for calling the old reliable 3.0L Vulcan a SOHC rather than a OHV which it is.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:49   #4 (permalink)

how do i determine if its the pump or rack?
arch63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:34   #5 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: 1999 sable power steering

Noisy P/S systems are usually caused by air in the system, which is usually caused by an extenal leak. See if there is any serious leaks. Slight seepage doesn't neccesarily count unless you see fluid dripping off stuff. If there is no major leaks, then you have an internal issue in the P/S pump. Another thing about leaks is that an aerated system can cause the pump to go sooner.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 19:31   #6 (permalink)

I agree with tbird. the air in your system is the cause for your loss of power asist. A power steering system rebuild and/ or new p/s pump is probably nessary.
Brotha Sable is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007