1999 Taurus Trans Problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2008, 03:33   #1 (permalink)

mad 1999 Taurus Trans Problems

Hello! I have a 1999 Taurus with a 3.0 v6 auto trans with 36K original one owner miles on it.My wife is 49 and I am 52. About 6 months ago after a trip to St. Louis it went through about a foot of standing water, it started shifting hard between 1st and 2nd so much that the tires lay down rubber with a cute "eek". The trans fluid looked good I took it to a local Ford Dealer in Memphis last week. The dealer stated after a "road test" he stated the trany needed to be rebuilt for $3000. I asked was there any other diagnostics performed and he stated no.This cost $100. After reading the forum a while it seems to me that it could be a vehicle speed sensor or even the memory needs to be reflashed. Any ideas what I need to do next, or is there still an honest mechanic out there? I read an article on the internet that 60 percent of the automatic transmissions in Ford Taurus's fail after 60k miles. If this is how Ford builds their products, maybe they should go out of bussiness. I really love the car but 36,000 on a transmission?

Last edited by FOMOCOSKS; 03-13-2008 at 03:36. Reason: add word
FOMOCOSKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2008, 11:26   #2 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

Re: 1999 Taurus Trans Problems

Are there any codes? It could be the VSS as it is located on the passenger end of the tranny down low next to the firewall. It could also be the TRS switch on the top.
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 22:04   #3 (permalink)

Sounds likely that it is a sensor, standing water can malfunction those censors. My camshaft sensor went out in mine, and no 60% do not go out, its people not taking care of their vehicles. Most just drive them as is. I've owned Ford all my life, and never had the transmission go out in any of them, or Transaxle for that matter.
gulizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 12:04   #4 (permalink)
canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulizard View Post
its people not taking care of their vehicles
Ain't that the truth.

If the sensor doesn't solve the problem spend the $80 and get a proper transmission flush done with fresh fluid to drain any contaminants out of the system. Anything's worth trying before forking out the dough for a new trans.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 22:38   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ci View Post
Ain't that the truth.

If the sensor doesn't solve the problem spend the $80 and get a proper transmission flush done with fresh fluid to drain any contaminants out of the system. Anything's worth trying before forking out the dough for a new trans.
I've done them myself its not even that hard, but yeah if you don't have proper equipment to do it. I know that the best place to go is a Ford Dealership where they work on Ford vehicles, namely because those places are the least likely to rip you off. Places like BestOne, and those Valvoline Centers will eat through your pocket with lies, and bs. With what you'd end up giving for a trans axle though the best idea if it was really the tranny is to trade it in, and get something of equal value, and dish out an extra 3600 with it, will get you a nice used vehicle, just don't mention the transmission. I've had this 99 Taurus forever, and I got it from a kid who neutral dropped it, and burned out with the E break on, and everything else, and I've put a good 130k miles on it. At one point it got where it wasn't shifting smooth, and all I did was the flush, used some Lucas Treatment as well, got it cleaned so good that it was able to smoke the tires.. There were like one or two metal shavings on it...

I owned a Chevrolet truck, flushed the transmission in it with 21k miles on it, had metal shavings all over it. I got rid of it, and continued driving my ranger till I could get an F150.
gulizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 20:35   #6 (permalink)

Smile Re: 1999 Taurus Trans Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ci View Post
Ain't that the truth.

Excellent Point, and very good advice...
Sterling_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007