1999 Taurus Transmission swap questions 99 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 10:54   #1 (permalink)

1999 Taurus Transmission swap questions 99

Hi all,
I have a 99 with the 24v Duratec that only moves in first and reverse. It makes a bad grinding sound in the trans when the car is started. It barely moves forward or back, don't know the codes, there wasn't any CEL.

So, I found another 99, but it had the standard overhead valve engine, not Duratec. Pulled the trans to put in my car and it turns out the trans is different where the starter motors go. When I was looking for a replacement trans everyone asked if it was:
AX4N – yes
Floor shift – yes
OD cancel button – no
So I thought I had the right tranny. Now I have a good AX4N to sell but also need one that will fit my 99 with the Duratec.

Question; what years will fit the 99 with the Duratec? And, should I replace the torque converter while I’m at it? I heard they are often the cause of failure (broken vanes). If so what is a good source for the torque converters? And, I have totally flushed the cooling lines.

Thanks for the help, Keith

94 Taurus SHO 270K

97 Taurus 120K

99 Taurus SE (hope to have running soon)

Last edited by kputer; 04-27-2009 at 11:08. Reason: 24v not 32
kputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2009, 18:52   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: 1999 Taurus Transmission swap questions 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by kputer View Post
Hi all,
I have a 99 with the 24v Duratec that only moves in first and reverse. It makes a bad grinding sound in the trans when the car is started. It barely moves forward or back, don't know the codes, there wasn't any CEL.

So, I found another 99, but it had the standard overhead valve engine, not Duratec. Pulled the trans to put in my car and it turns out the trans is different where the starter motors go. When I was looking for a replacement trans everyone asked if it was:
AX4N – yes
Floor shift – yes
OD cancel button – no
So I thought I had the right tranny. Now I have a good AX4N to sell but also need one that will fit my 99 with the Duratec.

Question; what years will fit the 99 with the Duratec? And, should I replace the torque converter while I’m at it? I heard they are often the cause of failure (broken vanes). If so what is a good source for the torque converters? And, I have totally flushed the cooling lines.

Thanks for the help, Keith
Definetely not before 99. AX4N originally had a PRND21 shift pattern with an OD off button. Sometime in early 99, Ford changed the shift patern to PRNOD1 with no OD off button. The valve body is valved differently to accomplish this. Now another thing to consider. I know for a fact in 2001 they had a different VSS setup and location, and the AX4N was renamed the 4F50N. Oh wait, just looked it up, 2000 was the same as 2001. So... you need to find a 1999 AX4N Trans. specifically from a Duratec.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:18   #3 (permalink)

Re: 1999 Taurus Transmission swap questions 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird100636 View Post
Definetely not before 99... So... you need to find a 1999 AX4N Trans. specifically from a Duratec.
Well, that narrows it down. Thanks Tbird100636 for the info.

94 Taurus SHO 270K

97 Taurus 120K

99 Taurus SE (hope to have running soon)
kputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007