2000 Ford Taurus Struts or Shocks? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2008, 14:29   #1 (permalink)

2000 Ford Taurus Struts or Shocks?

It's been awhile since I have been on. I have a 2000 Ford Taurus and I need struts or stocks(whatever you call the ones on the back of the car)

Does anyone have a recommendation? Should I get mine from Ford or an after market brand or does it even matter?

Any help would be appreciated T
Schleprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2008, 16:46   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2000 Ford Taurus Struts or Shocks?

Any major brand is fine-Monroe, KYB, or Gabriel. You will need a strut spring compressor--either that or take the entire strut assembly to a machine shop and pay them to swap them out. Getting the front struts out can be tricky. You either need a special tool or you have to loosen the engine cradle a bit to lift the steering knuckle off the lower ball joint.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:47   #3 (permalink)

RickMN

Thanks for your help. I will take it to the experts and let them do the struts.
Thanks for the recommendations. will definitely sign in and check out your site also.

Cordially,
Schleprock
Old 02-19-2008, 14:15   #4 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

Seeing the problems with the Taurus springs breaking I would consider getting the whole thing, spring, mounts, strut in one complete package.
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 15:38   #5 (permalink)

Thanks I will get the complete package. You think a chain like Midas is my best bet or is this an easy job?
Old 02-20-2008, 00:27   #6 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

You can get Monroe quick struts. They are the complete package that "drop" in. May take some muscling to get the new strut in as well as the old one out. Look out for the pinch bolts on the rear struts as they like to seize and snap. This happens at the shoulder of the bolt and not the threaded end.
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 15:32   #7 (permalink)

Man thanks so much for your reply it is really appreciated!

This website just rocks. Honestly I could be on it all day but the bills have to be paid. Thanks to all who responded to my query.

Cordially,
Schleprock
Old 05-08-2008, 09:27   #8 (permalink)

I am going to Replace the rear Strut and Coil useing the Monroe Quick strut assembly, thought that is better that messing with the Coil spring compresion tool, does anyone have any tips on doing the Job. I hear it is pretty simple ?.
It is on a 2000 Sable
Sam 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 19:57   #9 (permalink)

Buy a can of Freeze-Off rust penetrant at the auto parts store. It chills the metal and makes the rust crack. You'll need it to remove the clamp bolt. Other than that, just remove the rear seat cushion to get to the top strut nuts.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:03   #10 (permalink)

Thanks For the Info. I will get a can of that also.
Sam 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007