2000 Taurus 3.0 Crank/Cam Sensor Noise - Page 2 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2004, 14:41   #11 (permalink)

Re: 2000 Taurus 3.0 Crank/Cam Sensor Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOZ123
I can send you an email with the procedure for the shaft. It will be a zipped word doc. That OK?

My 98 taurus has the same problem, would you please send me a Email?
chejie@msn.com

Thanks.
leshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2004, 14:44   #12 (permalink)

Re: Cam/ Shaft sensor noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by easternmike
I had this problem in my 2000 thousand Taurus as well. Tracked the problem down to the little round sensor that is where the distributor cap would normally be. Replacing this unit is not at all necessary to stop the noise. What I did was propped the wiring harness out of my way by wedging a screw driver holding it out of the way (as it is directly over top of it) You will notice two small bolts holding a black cover on the sensor. Simply remove this cover, start the motor so that you can get the sensor moving and don't be shy spraying some liquid wrench into this spinning magneto. It has been another 5 thousand miles and I have yet to here the noise come back. I used liquid wrench, but after thinking about it If I have to ever do it again I would add a squirt of spray lithium grease.

Trust me, this one works.
My 98 taurus has the same problem, i would like try your method. By the way, must i start the motor to move the sensor?
Old 08-13-2004, 21:02   #13 (permalink)
Sho'n Off

Re: Cam/ Shaft sensor noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by leshan
My 98 taurus has the same problem, i would like try your method. By the way, must i start the motor to move the sensor?

Leshan...the 98's and 00's sensors are located in different places. Here is a link that has some pics for you to locate yours better. Also....no you do not have to start the engine to move the snesor. There are two 10mm bolts that hold it into the head. When you replace the sensor make sure that you dont ram it in the hole. It will ruin the rubber o'ring on the end of the sensor. You can buy one for the dealership for about 12.00 to 20.00. I hope this helps!!

http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/CamPositionSensorPhotos.htm
2003 Explorer XLT Limited
Monroe, MI

I'd rather be judged by twelve then carried by six
98shotoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 09:13   #14 (permalink)

Thanks!
My engine is OHV. To replace the sensor, i need to retiming it, i have no tools.
I followed 'easternmike's' method, Sprayed lithium grease in it. three day passed, no noise.

Sorry about my poor english, i'm foreigner.
Old 08-16-2004, 23:23   #15 (permalink)
Sho'n Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by leshan
Thanks!
My engine is OHV. To replace the sensor, i need to retiming it, i have no tools.
I followed 'easternmike's' method, Sprayed lithium grease in it. three day passed, no noise.

Sorry about my poor english, i'm foreigner.
No prblem about the language!!! I know what ya mean. I didnt know that your Taurus was an OHV engine. That does make a quite bit of difference
2003 Explorer XLT Limited
Monroe, MI

I'd rather be judged by twelve then carried by six
98shotoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 05:25   #16 (permalink)

Is this an easy fix for someone who is not a mechanic? I have a 2000 Taurus with a 3.0 V6 that is making the same noise,it's like a bird is under the hood,chirping away.What are the steps on fixing this chrip. Thanks,Brusher
Brusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 01:48   #17 (permalink)

Can someone tell me where the Cam Position Sensor is located on the 2000 3.0L Taurus engine? Thanks.
mplieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:36   #18 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: 2000 Taurus 3.0 Crank/Cam Sensor Noise

Thank you Tom for giving a clear description of the problem and thank you EasternMike for the solution. My 2003 12valve, 3.0L, OHV Taurus had the exact same problem. The cam shaft sensor is located on the top right most of the of engine, right under the wiring harness. I followed EasternMike's steps to the letter. I used a screw driver to prop and move the wiring harness out of the way. I couldn't see the sensor until I did that. Then I used a 7/32 socket with a universal joint to get to the screws. The wiring harness prevented me from getting to the screws directly. And well you know the rest. I used white lithum grease and problem solved. I didn't have to keep the engine running. It was off when I did this.

This is the ONLY place on the web I found the solution at. I'm glad presistence paid off big time. Five Star Ford in N.Richland Hills quoted me $600 in repair costs. This took me 15 minutes and $50. (I needed to buy the socket set for the sensor bolts, lithum grease, and a Ford Taurus book.) Now I know why mechanics need so many tools.
chcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:52   #19 (permalink)

My 02 Ford Ranger starting making the same squeaking/chirping sound. I first thought it was the serp belt or one of the rollers on it. I took the belt off and ran the motor just with the crank pulley running and the noise was still there. I then put the belt back on and used a stethoscope and probed around on the motor until I touched it to one of the 2 screws that holds the black plastic cap on top of the shaft assembly. This is the sensor pick up. The Ford dealer tells me to replace it (about $55 bucks) and the shaft assembly that goes down in the motor and is gear driven from the back of the cam. (about $150bucks). I call a NAPA store and they have a Dorman / Balkamp complete upper and lower unit for about $55bucks. Being the tightwad that I am I took the 2, 5.5mm bolts out, removed the black plastic cap (top), and sprayed the shaft under the little spinney thing with WD 40 with the truck running. The squeak went away and has been gone for a week now with no re-occurence. I don't know how permenant a fix this is. I do not know how it is oiled. If it comes from splash oil off of the cam or what? I was told by the Ford dealer if it locks up it can tear the back off the cam and / or destroy the block.
A little heavier oil might be better, like some atf or 10wt or something.
I also did not really understand how it could run with it disconnected and it did not turn on a check engine light.
Hipo302
Hip302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:54   #20 (permalink)

There is a OTC tool that they say you need if you repalce the shaft (lower part). It is different for varoius Fords. It has something to do with finding TDC I think. It is about $30bucks Hipo302
Hip302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007