2000 Taurus - buying advice - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2009, 17:12   #1 (permalink)

2000 Taurus - buying advice

I'm looking at a 2000 Taurus SES with the FFV engine. Car has 76,000 miles. It worked perfectly on the test drive but I am wondering if there is anything in particular I should check before deciding. Also, any particular trouble areas might I encounter as the miles accrue? Specifically - are the transmissions reliable?
Thanks.
leftoverture is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2009, 17:46   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: 2000 Taurus - buying advice

I have a 01 with 110K on it. I've had the Flex Fuel module under the dash go out at 36k causing my gas gauge to be stuck on full. The coolant tank started leaking at almost 100k. The cam synchronizer assembly bearing failed around 65k causing a chirping noise during cold start up. Very common problem. Both ball joints needed replacing at around 95k. Replaced the rotors & pads around 36k due to pulsating brakes. Windshield leaked rain at both top corners. Front struts wore slap out at 110k.

In my opinion, the coolant tank, ball joints and struts had a nice long life. The sync assembly, flex module and brakes should have lasted longer.

No problems out of the engine. The transmission did take a spell where it would pour fluid out then once cooled, not a drip. It was due to the leaking coolant tank allowing the coolant to run low in the radiator causing the transmission fluid to overheat.

All in all, I'd buy another

You can go to this site to view some of the customer complaints, TSB's & recalls. CarComplaints.com - Car Problems, Car Complaints, & Repair/Recall Information
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 21:28   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the link, very interesting site. Kinda seems like you've had lots of problems though. Interesting that you say you'd buy another. We have a 99 Sable and it's been a great car. I am looking at another 99 Sable in addition to the Taurus. Having a hard time deciding between the two!
Old 04-03-2009, 21:59   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

I guess it's like anything else, parts will wear out. I do most of the work myself & have not been out much money on this car. It's never left my wife stranded, yep, I'd buy another.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:16   #5 (permalink)
canuck

I own a '99, different exterior but nearly identical mechanically and I have 190,000kms on it (118K) and no major problems to report except for regular maintenance items. Seat belt spring was replaced under warranty at 30K; both front wheelbearings at 68K; alternator was just replaced a month ago; muffler is getting louder by the week and will soon be replaced. Otherwise, I've replaced nothing other than fluids, brakes and tires.

If I were you I'd take it for another test drive, make sure the owners manual is in the glove box, check ALL fluids you can find a stick for under the hood to make sure they're clean and not black/gritty looking.

I'd buy another one also. My '99 2V 3.0L V6 has served me well with nary a complaint except being a bit underpowered on the highway when loaded with people and gear. For two people it rides great, gets decent mileage and parts are reasonably priced, even at the dealer. Expressway Ford service has been outstanding as well where I had purchased the car as a demo model. I think I'd get a 2000+ just for the newer body style and larger fuel tank (2gal more).
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:07   #6 (permalink)

Thanks! I did not buy the 2000 as I found too many issues with it on my second test drive. Today I am looking at a 2002 and a 2003. Both have leather and the works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007